Bitter sour Seville oranges alternative?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Feb 5, 2017.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I keep hearing that if you don't have sour oranges (aka bitter oranges, aka Seville oranges), you can mix oranges with lemon and lime. 

But I just learned today that bitter oranges are a hybrid of pomelos and mandarins! Soo.... maybe a better alternative would be a mix of pomelo and mandarins? Which would help me because I have both in my backyard!!! I'm going to have to experiment...

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Grapefruit is often used with the orange juice. I like it better than the lime or lemon mix.

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Cool, thanks Phatch, your post in the monthly challenge actually triggered that question, as I saw your photograph of "agria" being translated as "bitter" and was surprised.... and so I started googling around...

4. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I supposed they were connected.

5. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Oh, if you do this mix, it has more sugar than the real thing so it's more prone to scorching and other such hassles of cooking sugary marinades. 

french fries likes this.
  6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Cool, thanks for the heads up, I didn't think about that. I've dealt with sugary marinades before and I know exactly what you mean, learned the hard way. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif  

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017