Bitter Almonds

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by alexia, May 23, 2002.

1. alexia

alexia

Does anyone know how to obtain these or bitter almond flavoring to be used in cooking?

I have as a substitute used the kernel from apricots/peaches on occasion. But, man, what a job opening the pit! Any suggestions for an easier way than banging at them (wrapped in towel) with a hammer?

Also, I'm unclear as to whether to post a question like this in this forum or in Pastry Chef's Corner.

2. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    The best bitter almond oil from france, you need only drops not tsp or Tbl to obtain a fragrant bitter almond product. I believe it is their brand
    1-800-PASTRY-1.

3. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    What country are you in? We can better help you find a source, in the meantime, you may want to browser here.

4. alexia

alexia

I'm in the US.

5. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I posted a question once about a product I bought in London called Ratafia Essence. By a process of deduction the fabulous keepers of knowldge on this site determined that it was in fact a bitter almond essence. I wasn't able to get any in San Francisco and it was by chance I saw it in the store in London. (Just a regular grocery store.)

Jock