biscuits for breakfast

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by frostythespider, Nov 5, 2012.

1. frostythespider

frostythespider

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Hey folks, it's been a while since I posted but I was hoping someone could help shed some light on a particular menu item I've been struggling with.

Basically, I have a breakfast item which comes on a buttermilk biscuit and so far, I love the flavor of the biscuits I'm making but I'm trying to get more leavening and more durability as the biscuit tends to crumble before it reaches its consumer.  The current ingredients are baking powder, flour, sugar, sea salt, buttermilk and butter.  I'm not much of a wiz when it comes to baking so I'm not sure if it's a matter of just adding more baking powder to make them rise more and adding more flour for the durability.  Any articles/suggested reading/past experiences would be greatly appreciated!

T

2. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If you really want good advice your going to have to give us the percentages and method used.

(a recipe)

For a total shot in the dark - it's your technique as most people can copy an ingredient list just fine.

Get back to us - there are some amazing bakers and chefs here that can get things sorted out for you.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  3. wvman2374

wvman2374

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Without ratios its hard to say if its the ingredients or your technique.  

Could be any number of things causing that.  Not enough wet ingredients.  Too much sugar.  Overhandling the dough.  Overmixing the dough.  Butter too warm going in.  etc etc...

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012