Biltong Packaging

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by TSidd06, Mar 3, 2018.

1. TSidd06

TSidd06

Exp:
    -
    Hi all,

I'm looking to start a small enterprise selling homemade biltong from locally sourced beef - to local restaurants and farm shops.
    I'm trying to work out the cost of sales and have hit a wall at packaging. I plan to have my packaging simple, but I don't know what I can/should use to package it.
    Professional sites tell me I should vacuum pack it, however it is a very large fixed cost. Others tell me I should just use ventilated packaging to keep it dry.
    Could anybody tell me if they know a simple medium I could use?

Cheers
    TS.

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Have you checked with the agency that enforces food packaging in your area?
    If not I would start there and move forward.
    Welcome to CT.

mimi

3. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Hi and welcome to CT!

Where are you looking to start this enterprise? The US? The UK? I can't speak for the UK, but, generally speaking, in the US, health departments require that foods sold to the public be prepared in kitchens that have been inspected and certified by the health department. A typical home kitchen will not meet those standards without expensive upgrades, especially if the product is a meat product.

To further add to what @flipflopgirl said, if you are in the US, there are some very strict state and federal regulations that apply to the preparation and packaging of meat products that also includes labeling. You will have to have an analysis performed of your product so the proper nutrition content can be placed on the label along with the exact ingredients.

Again, this is how things generally work in the US.

Good luck! :)