Biggest kitchen problems???

Joined Aug 5, 2018
Hey everyone! I'm a uni student doing a course where we have to come up with a product to make things easier in the kitchen so I'm looking for problems that you might have. Thanks x

What frustrates you?
What grunt tasks are really annoying?

What always goes wrong when you get busy?

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Most frustrating problems are human related, that is people to people problems.

Next most frustrating is infrastructure or lack of, ie: a shoebox size kitchen meant to serve 80 in the dining room and another 40 on the terrace, or no gas and only 100 amps of power to run the whole restaurant. Or some dip-wad owner who thinks you can pump out pancakes, eggs, bacon, ham, and hash browns for 60 seats on a tiny 24” griddle.

For grunt work we have equipment, we’ve had it since owners realized that time is money. If we don’t have the equipment for grunt work, then we buy pre made i.e.: frozen fries, 3” tart shells, mayonnaise, etc.

What always goes wrong when it gets busy is a dangerous question to ask, especially if you’re superstitious..... But mostly it’s human error—a dining room manager seating 50 people a’la carte at once, or infrastructure or equipment breakdown like a pipe bursting, or a deep fryer whose thermostat won’t shut it down.

Joined May 5, 2010
Hey everyone! I'm a uni student doing a course where we have to come up with a product to make things easier in the kitchen so I'm looking for problems that you might have. Thanks x

What frustrates you?
What grunt tasks are really annoying?

What always goes wrong when you get busy?

Hello and welcome to ChefTalk....even if it's for research.
Like foodpump said kitchen equipment from place to place varies so everyone you ask will give you a different answer.

Someone needs to invent a service product like a device worn by an employee that delivers information, motivation, and creativity directly to their brain. Now THAT would take care of a lot of problems.

I know, I know....fantasy...but what a product that would be.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
That would be one heck-uva app! But then, users would have to be constantly plugged into their smartphones....

Speaking of smartphones, I had a short, one sided conversation with an employee who was slowly pushing a cart down the hallway while staring dreamily into her phone. For some reason I had an urge to grab her phone and ram it down the chute of the power shredder that she should have been operating.

People to people problems... it’s frustrating.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Got one. Clamp the knife between two pieces of wood and run a chainsaw file through each scallop. Touch up on your regular stones afterwards. The file only lasts one per knife, but then they’re only like 6 bucks anyway.

Joined Aug 7, 2013
Got one. Clamp the knife between two pieces of wood and run a chainsaw file through each scallop. Touch up on your regular stones afterwards. The file only lasts one per knife, but then they’re only like 6 bucks anyway.

So, the file for the scallop side and the stones for the flat side?

Damn!!

Well then...I will no longer have that problem.

Thx!!

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Yep. File it in a garage or someplace, those metal filings are gritty, black, and nasty. Mind you, I still have a rosewood Henckels bread knife from the 80’s that I “do” about once a year, I’m too cheap to throw it away....

Top Bottom