Biggest insult to a chef/cook

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefteldanielle, Feb 8, 2006.

1. chefteldanielle

chefteldanielle

what is the biggest insult to a chef as far as his/her cooking is concerned?

Just trying to prove a point here.
    Thanks
    Danielle

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    um. The only time I get a little perturbed is when someone asks me a question about my profession to win a bet:lol: :smokin ;)

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Danielle,

Haven't seen you in a couple years, welcome back.
    CC

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'll add my "welcome back" too!! Good to see you again, Danielle.

I'm not a chef (and I don't play one on TV either). I've been a lunch cook in a small diner though, and my brother is a chef/owner of a restaurant. I hate to say it, but I've seen a chef, as a diner in a restaurant, get another chef out of the kitchen and complain about the food in front of other guests. That has got to burn.

5. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey Danielle,
    Not quite sure where this is going, but the only thing I can think of off hand that would get my goat is if someone critiqued a dish I made and tried to tell me how "it should be done".
    Screw you, next time do it yourself, and don't ask me to make it for you. There see, just typing it raises my hackles!:mad: :beer:

6. markv

markv

Although easier said than done, I think it's extremely important not to intertwine our egos with our food. We must always remember that individual tastes vary greatly for a multitude of reasons and anyone's dislike of our cooking and/or techniques` could have nothing to do with us.

That said

I find it very annoying when other chefs have a different way of approaching a task, not a better way, just a different way, and they act like THEIR method is the only right way. I detest such egocentricity.

Mark

susanne feigum likes this.
  7. jessiquina

jessiquina

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    seasoning before tasting.

8. laprise

laprise

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    What really thick me off, is when I meet another chef at a social event and some how once they found out that I am a chef too, they look down on me, because I don't work the line anymore or I work for myself or god knowns what else...

I really hate this, spinach is always green, no matter how great the chef is or where he works... a chef is a chef... when I meet another chef, I act just the same way as I act with any other person... I have always wondered if two carpentors would do this...

9. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    What ticks me off the most, foodwise, is when a guest turns their nose up at my food and won't even try it.

10. markv

markv

Not all doctors work in hospitals.
    Not all teachers work in classrooms.
    Not all lawyers work in courtrooms.
    Not all sailors work on a ship.

etc. etc. etc.

Mark

11. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Well I'm thick skinned. But the biggest insult is when people assume that I'm a chef and my wife doesn't, or cannot cook.

12. mikeb

mikeb

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    2 biggest "insults"

- When someone won't even try an item/whole dish, claiming they don't like it (my family does this - "I don't like sardines..." "Have you ever even had a fresh sardine?" I would ask. "Uhhh, no, I just don't like them.")

- When people pour on the salt without even tasting the item (sure people have different tastes, but at the same time we do season quite aggressively) If people took a bite, then decided they wanted more salt, that's cool. But without tasting it...

13. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    That said

I find it very annoying when other chefs have a different way of approaching a task, not a better way, just a different way, and they act like THEIR method is the only right way. I detest such egocentricity.

Mark[/QUOTE]
    Mark,
    This is something you probably need to put in your back pocket right away.
    It's law, when in my kitchen, do as I do or how I want it. This should never bother you for when you have your own kitchen you will perfer that your staff do things your way.
    pan
    one of the reasons I stay in production is because Ican't take it when a customer is picking up an order(even though they may shop 4 times a weak) and they ask 'is this fresh?"

14. deltadoc

deltadoc

Does this mean that someone can really be a chef but doesn't work in a professional kitchen/restaurant, etc.?

doc

15. markv

markv

16. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Well MarkV,
    I'm not sure where you are in your career but if you're a chef and blatant narcissist is the label, your world is, or going to be, full of them. I'm sometimes guilty. Maybe blatant self assurance is more appropriate when it comes to passion.:rolleyes: i don't know pan

doc, sure!

17. markv

markv

Please humor me and allow me to give you an example.

When asked by my head chef to come up with the amuse bouche one evening I prepared a tomato & zuchini gratin. He criticized my recipe on numerous counts, the details of which I don't remember now. Despite his condemnation he told me to go ahead and use them. Midway through the dinner rush the head waiter stated that the customers were loving the hors d'oeuvres. My head chef beamed and thanked him and never gave me credit or a pat on the back of any kind.

So my work is crap until it's a hit and then he takes all the credit.

Now I ask you, is that not irritating?

But I never said a word and still followed all his orders.

Mark

18. higjse

higjse

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I get a little peeved when one of the busboys or dumbass seasonal servers tells me to "be careful with that knife"

or when I hear "ewww I hate fish" or "specials? I have to remember specials? I hate specials!!"

bloodymary likes this.
  19. fairfieldchef

fairfieldchef

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    The number one insult for me: "Did you really make that?":mad:

Number two: "Is this fresh!"

I only wish one day I could reply to both without fear of losing my job!

20. sushigaijin

sushigaijin

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    when i was in retail fish, i used to get the "is that fresh?" question a half dozen times a day. My response was always, "no, thats from two weeks ago, but we have a lot of it and i need to get rid of it before it smells any worse." after delivering THAT deadpan, looking them square in the eye, they would figure out that, yes, it was indeed fresh. sometimes a bit of humor diffuses that situation, and that particular guest will NEVER ask that question again.

Erik.