BIG pumpkin creme brulee... how long?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I've decided that I wanna make a HUGE pumpkin creme brulee for Thanksgiving this year... roughly 2 quarts of cream, about 20 yolks, and coupla cans of pumpkin. Coupla questions...

1) How long do you think it will take in the oven using a 6" deep container?

2) Will the pumpkin solids settle to the bottom before it's done?

3) What's the record for the world's largest custard?

Kuan

Joined Mar 4, 2000
I've never made a brulee deeper than about an inch, but if you plan to go deeper than that (I'm assuming you're looking for a 5" depth), you might want to lower your oven temp 25-50 degrees, just to prevent the outside edges from cooking too fast. I've never had a problem with pumpkin solids separating, but again, that may occur with a deeper custard. Maybe someone else here can give you a more definitive answer, but my gut tells me that it is possible to bake a deep pumkin brulee. Just be careful not to keep the egg yolk in the temperature danger zone for too long.
I think that if you prepare your mix by tempering the yolks into the hot cream, (rather than just cold mixing), you will thicken your mixture enough to support the pumpkin.

As for your other question:
http://eggcom.com/brulee.htm

Joined Mar 6, 2001
It can't be done as your describe Kuan. Certainly not a 'classic' creme brulee.

Pumpkin in a classic baked creme brulee' is not a easy flavor, you must increase your yolks because the pumpkin changes the bonding of your eggs (slows it way down and loosens it) into a solid form. I think you'd have to change your recipe so much to pull this off that you'd be taking it into a different catagory. You can make a deep flan, but not a deep pumpkin flan. But to do this with pumpkin you'd wind up baking it for 8 hours *plus to set your center, then by the time that happens your top will be like dry old cream cheese texture.

I wouldn't take that challenge.

But if you want to try making a creme brulee stove top, then you could put it in a 6" deep container. BUT remember that there won't be enough sugar topping for all the portions once the top layer is served....

This is where the fine line of 'naming' desserts gets blurred....I personally think a stirred cooked stove top creme brulee is more of a pastry cream and shouldn't be called creme brulee'. If you follow a loose defination of creme brulee' you can make this infinity big....as big as you can find a container.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
There is a pumpkin creme brulee recipe in Alfred Portale's Twelve Seasons. If you'd like the recipe, just let me know.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
oops maybe I didn't explain myself well. I also have recipes for pumpkin creme brulee and or flan (they can be made, definately), but I'm saying baked in a 6" deep pan, it can't bake properly to set the center, even in a slow oven... you'll kill the texture of the top inches. You could make it stove top instead and in any portion.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I think that the outsides would souffle and curdle before the center is cooked. What about doing it with a no-bake custard similar to a pastry cream. I have used something like that before and it brulees though not quite as well as with a baked custard.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
I think that a pastry cream or pudding would work well, and would save you the trouble of it not working the way you want. Once you chill it and torch the top, it'll be very close to a creme brulee.

Joined Jan 5, 2001
How about making individual ones in miniature pumpkins? you can even carve them to resemble brûlée dishes by removing the middle section thus making your pumpkin much more shallow...

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
This is what happens when I'm asked to think. Thanks for the suggestions. There won't be enough sugar glass to go around anyway if I make it that deep so forget it! I'm just gonna make a no-bake custard like you guys suggested... a big huge one :)

kuan

Joined May 29, 1999
I got the cheese cake flan from my boss then I messed with the flavor:

1 pound of cream cheese
1/2 cup pumpkin puree

place in mixing bowl with whisk and whip low speed.

add to this
14 oz sweetened condenced milk
5 whole large eggs
1 cup warm water

strain and let relax while you make the caramel:

2 cups sugar
water to dampen
cream of tartar or vinegar, 1/2 tsp

make a medium caramel and arrest the boil with
1/2 cup water
blended into
1 tablespoon mixed winter spices (ground clove, ginger, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg)
bring back to a boil.

pour into cups one or two table spoons caramel, let set. If the caramel is too loose, put into freezer until firm and then pour custard over top. bake in water bath covered 350 degrees until set.

Joined Mar 4, 2000
That sounds nice, mbrown. I like the spices in the caramel.

How 'bout a star anise in the center of the caramel!

Joined Nov 6, 2001
kuan
Here are 2 recipes..the first one is for a regular pumpking brulee & the second is for a brulee cooked on the stove. I have made pumpking brulee the size you are talking about with no problem.
PUMPKING BRULEE
3 C cream boil cream & bean. let site 30 min.. mix rest & add
8 egg yolks cream.
2 eggs
1 C sugar
1 vanilla bean / split
10 ounces pumpkin puree
2 t cinn
1/2 t nutmeg & ginger
1/4 t allspice
COOKED BRULEE
2 1/2 qts cream
14 ounces sugar
2 1/4 # egg yolks
12 gelatin sheets- soaked & drained
28 ounces pumpkin puree
2 T cinn
1 1/2 t nutmeg & ginger
3/4 t all spice
1 T salt
2 vanilla beans - split
boil cream & beans..infuse 30 min.. mix remaining except gelatin.. add cream and return to stove cook over high heat until thick strain into container and add gelatin.. add to mold

patrick

Joined Mar 6, 2001
I think that's a brilliant idea Angry! So obvious, but I didn't see it at all! That also would be great in tartlets for the season.

Personally I need the crust with the pumpkin filling. Just pumpkin brulee is tooo similar to pie filling for me. Got to have your ying with your yang!:bounce:

Top Bottom