big B

Joined Apr 14, 2003
Hello, all! I'm currently a graduate student and have always had an interest in cooking. It started out as necessity (I've basically been in college/grad school for the past 10 years....ug), but quickly became something I enjoyed doing. Recently, I've been inspired to learn much more about cooking besides what it takes to just follow a recipe- I now want to understand the principles of how a dish comes together. My main resource as of late have been Cook's Illustrated, Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for the Food", and Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking". And there's several others I plan to get in the near future.

I'm sure for the time being I'll be asking more questions than offering help, but hopefully someday I'll become experienced enough to return the favor. Cheers!

Joined Oct 28, 1999
Alton Brown, Harold McGee and Cook's Illustrated are certainly 3 of my favorites! Welcome aboard and ask away... happy to have you in the community.
-Jim

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Welcome to Chef Talk!

Have a look at Cookwise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Cooking by Shirley O. Corriher.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Nice to have you with us, BigB. What do you like to cook?

We'll look forward to your questions and contributions.

Mezzaluna

Joined Apr 14, 2003
"Cookwise" is actually the next book on my to-get list. And with the great prices at www.newbookscheap.com (a site that I learned from this forum), I might get it pretty soon. I just need to pace myself and not buy too many titles- I don't want to go broke from saving so much money ;)

I never really thought about what I like to cook, but if I had to put a label on it, I guess it would lie in the American and Italian arenas- I grew up as a meat and potatoes kind of guy (I think that's part of the appeal of Cooks Illustrated for me). I also have a sweet tooth, so I am fond of baking (cookies, cheesecake, fudge, and I even made some rather good profiteroles once). Having lived in Northern California for the past six years, I've been exposed to many more styles of food and am definatley interested in expanding my cooking repatoire (I've been looking into getting "Mexico one plate at a time" and "Hot Sour Salty Sweet" as well). Of course, with my friends volunteering to let me cook for them anytime I want, I should have no shortage of recipes to try.

Top Bottom