Beware of purple plants

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Just a little rant, my husband found some cool looking purple string beans at the farmers market and like any good New Yorker he paid an arm and a leg for them and brought them home. I blanched them so that I could sautée them with some garlic and almonds and wouldn’t you know they turned green as soon as they hit the boiling water! So mad right now. Would this have happened if I steamed them? I hate it when that happens.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
We hear the same complaint at our market about purple okra. The purple goes away when the veg is heated which causes a loss in acidity. You can try to keep some of the color by soaking in lemon juice or vinegar before cooking as briefly as possible. Or eat them raw :) I have heard that adding the acid to just boiling water and doing a poured over blanch will work as well, but have not tried that.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Must be in the way they're planted or something.

The purple string beans I buy always stay purple no matter what.

On the other hand, the red onions I buy bleed out just by washing them and become a regular white onions!

Joined Mar 1, 2017
The beans turn green because the heat from cooking breaks down the plant cells and causes a reaction that neutralizes the purple color and returns the plant to the color green.

Don't worry. You weren't sold a batch of fake purple beans. :)

There's nothing you can do to preserve the color if you are cooking the beans in a casserole or saute etc. You might be able to keep some of the purple color if you blanch them very quickly and stir fry. But, the color will lose much of its vibrance. The best way to serve them up is raw or in a bean salad if you intend to preserve the purple color.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
The beans turn green because the heat from cooking breaks down the plant cells and causes a reaction that neutralizes the purple color and returns the plant to the color green.

Don't worry. You weren't sold a batch of fake purple beans. :)

There's nothing you can do to preserve the color if you are cooking the beans in a casserole or saute etc. You might be able to keep some of the purple color if you blanch them very quickly and stir fry. But, the color will lose much of its vibrance. The best way to serve them up is raw or in a bean salad if you intend to preserve the purple color.

I can’t think of anything worse than a raw green bean lol.

Top Bottom