Better pizza: Pizza Hut or Papa John's?

Joined May 14, 2001
OK even though I am a purist, especially when it comes to pizza, I must pass on this little tidbit of wisdom:

Pizza is just like sex.

When it's good, it's really good.

When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

And it all depends on who's makin' it.

;)
Peace,
kmf

Joined Dec 8, 1999
Monpetitchoux, there is at least one place that serves good, authentic Neopolitan pizza (pizza vera Napoletana, as they call it) West of NYC. It's here in St. Paul, MN of all places. They use fresh mozzarella, San Marzano tomatoes for the sauce and use the same cooking methods and procedures as restaurants in Napoli that are certified by a local association as serving authentic Neopolitan pizza. Sorry to tease you with knowledge of this place that, while closer to you than NYC, is still a bit far from the Bay area. If you're ever passing through, though, it's only 15 minutes from the airport. It's called Punch Neopolitan Pizza (Punch, or Pulcinella, is a character from the Comedia del Arte used as a symbol to denote restaurants in Napoli that serve certified authentic Neopolitan pizza). Ask for John Sorrano, the owner. The man can tell you more about pizza than I can, and I was his sous chef for over a year.

Joined Apr 24, 2001
OMG! I wished you had told me this back in January. I was on a red-eye to New York when suddenly, at about 3AM mountian time, the captain came on the loud speaker and urged everyone to fasten their seatbelts. The plane was jolting. We had to land in St. Paul. When I finally reached the counter, I demanded a refund and a return trip back to San Francisco. But I was stuck in that airport for several hours. I wished I had known about Punch back then. It would have calmed me down and made a terrible situation better. It might even have given me the strength to continue onto New York. Thank you for letting me know about this place. The airlaine gave me a voucher. Maybe this time, I'll end up in St. Paul on purpose.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I agree with kmf:

Homemade pizza takes time so we try to plan our "pizza urges" the most we can. We became so fed up with mediocre restaurant pizza!!

:eek:

P.S.: I just ordered Pizza Napolitana!, Pamela Sheldon Johns. Here's a small quote from the publisher:

Can't wait!

[ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Dec 8, 1999
Good for you, Kimmie! Napoli-style really is the best way to make pizza!

Monpetitchoux, if it makes you feel better, the restaurant was closes at 9 or 10pm, depending on the day. You would have had to break in and the police would have arrived long before you could get the oven up to temp! I'm pretty sure, though, that pizza Napoletana is a valid defense in court for breaking and entering. Or in this case, breaking, entering and building a fire. If not, it should be.

Joined Apr 24, 2001
Hey Manny: Check out the personal weird food combo thread in cook's corner. :D My days of defending myself from accusations of food snobbery ended when they discovered the stash of instant noodles in my cupboard. But of course, you have to understand that the noodles are really good quality ones from Asia (Neoguri, Mama, Sapporo Ichiban...) And then they are garnished with really nicely cut vegetables, appropriate herbs, poached egg, sometimes left over meat (sliced leftovers like roast beef, turkey, grilled salmon). :D Hee Hee. It's the fanciets bowl of instant noodles you'll ever see.

Top Bottom