Best Wok

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by msdash, Jan 19, 2011.

1. msdash

msdash

Exp:
    Food Writer
    So, got the ge monogram with dual flat/wok burners. Already have a carbon steel wok but was wondering if there is a better wok to fit this particular stove. GE website offered no help, led me on a wild goose chase centered around burners and stove attachment products. Any ideas?

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Carbon steel woks are the standard and generally viewed as ideal.

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have worked with many chinese chefs on many chinese stoves, but I have never seen a flat wok burner.You need intense heat for a wok and I really don't know if a household stove has this. you could purchase a wok ring to set wok in. You may think this is crazy, and say well the other way the wok sits right on the flame but to raise the wok in the ring allows the tips or hottest part of flame to contact wok without spreading the flames.and disbursing the heat.

4. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The grates on this model of stove are flat on one side and dished on the other to accomodate a wok.

But as Ed points out, these stoves lack the heat to do a great job. You'll need to manage how much you add to wok carefully so the temperature doesn't drop too much.

5. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Depends a bit on the style of cooking:

Chinese food (stir fries etc) are normally done in a carbon steel wok.

My favourite however is cast iron (the Indonesian/Malay standard and is actually called a wadjan, not a wok) and is probably more suited for quick frying of the base (normally a paste made out of chili, garlic, onion, ginger etc) followed by stewing/braising of the meat.

Having said that, I use this cast iron wok for stir fries etc as well.

6. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The Chinese used cast iron woks before they developed carbon steel. They're thinner than what most in the west consider for cast iron cookware. You'll often see cast iron woks in Chinese stores that sell woks.

7. msdash

msdash

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Thanks all. Am getting another wok, cast iron, round bottom.

8. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'd recommend carbon steel over cast iron. Much easier to toss by hand. And will have better handles too.

But I think heat management will make the biggest improvement to your wok cooking. Take a look at:

http://www.cheftalk.com/wiki/wok-basics

http://www.cheftalk.com/wiki/chinese-stirfrying

Gas stoves run about 30-40% efficient in transferring heat to a pan. So it's more about managing the volume of ingredients in your hot wok than anything else. Keep the volume low so the wok stays hot and cook in small batches. Combine everything for the finish.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011