Best way to sharpen shun classics?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by sbena, Aug 17, 2012.

1. sbena

sbena

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My Shun Classics are in need of a sharpening and I dont want to send them out to be sharpened.  I want to learn how to sharpen them with whetstones, however I dont know where to start.  If anyone has any experience sharpening Shuns I would love to get your experience succesful or not.  Also, I was given a Shun electric sharpener when I purchased my knives from WS, I have never used it, mostly because I was worried that it would damage my knives.  Does any one have any experience with this sharpener, good or bad?  One more question, I was given a minosharpener, I have done some research and found that this is a product for Global knives.  To my knowledge, Globals and Shuns have the same blade angle, so is the minosharp a good option for a quick sharpening for my Shuns, or should I stay away from it?

Thanks for your help.

2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Go to the Cooking Knives thread within THIS thread and do a search for posts made by BDL; he's really knowledgeable on this stuff and has lots of information to offer.  Really.  It seems that the Japanese water stones are the ones to get nowadays.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's posts made by Boar_d_Laze.