Chef Forum banner

Best way to fry sweet potato chips!

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  cheflayne 
#1 ·
Everyone at my place of work have been struggling on frying the sweet potato chips correctly they fry them at 300 for 8 mins after that they are soggy but formed then they throw them in the oven at 250 for 5 mins then finish them off in the walk in to cool off ?? I personally do not think that this is the right way to do it even though i have not tried to fix em on my own

#13 ·
Completely agree with you! Blanching first give such a soft inside! Makes the texture of the chips delicious.

My favourite method is to triple cook them. This takes a lot longer to cook but it's so worth it!

Method:

1. Slice the potatoes into 2cm thick chips. If the potato is too long cut them in half.
2. Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil over a high heat. Place the chips in and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook until tender and a knife point slides in easily. Remove from the pan and drain in a single layer on a tray lined with kitchen paper or a clean cloth, this will help to absorb the moisture.
3. Leave to cool down before placing the potato in the fridge to dry out, this is best done overnight. You can speed up the process by placing them in the freezer for half an hour or so.
4. Preheat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 140 degrees C.
5. Place the chips into the fryer and cook until they have a dry appearance, this will take about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain well on kitchen paper. Leave to cool down and place back in the fridge for a couple of hours or cheat and use the freezer.
6. When ready to serve, bring the fryer back to 180 degrees C. Place the chips back in and cook until crisp, this will take about 7 to 8 minutes. Be careful not to overcook them as they will go very dark. Remove from the fryer, drain again on kitchen paper and sprinkle with a little salt before serving.

Hope this helps!!

#3 ·
I don't understand. Are they frying them -then oven- then walk in all so they can re fry them during service? You're using the word "chips". Do you mean french fries or thin slices aka potato chips?
Either way, then that's a lot of unnecessary steps. Like Phaedrus said, blanch them (frying at 275), then fry at 350 and serve. No oven is needed.
Or if you mean potato chips, you could just fry them from raw until done. I don't understand the need for all the steps.

#7 ·
The humidity could be a problem i guess but I would try slicing the potatoes thinner or if not, fry them longer. A bit of experimenting is in order but basically you slice, fry, season and serve.
I would also do a bit of science research on the composition of the sweet potato and a regular potato. In my experience a sweet potato french fry isn't exactly the same as a Russet french fry. A slim difference perhaps but different all the same. Maybe the extra sugars in the sweet potato make them fry differently or darken quicker so you think they are done when they could be fried a bit more.
In any case, I think this is one of those fun opportunities that cooking provides to experiment and learn something.

#8 ·
Sweet pots do tend to burn/darken to a greater degree than a Russet. That's why blanching them is so important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.