Best way to freeze BBQ pork and chicken?

Joined Oct 9, 2008
We made a lot of great BBQ pork ribs and chicken legs. I want to shred the leftovers in portions to send to school with my kids. Any advice, dos and don'ts?

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I always freeze my shredded BBQ. It freezes really well. Mine is a North Carolina style and has plenty of vinegar and mustard in it, plus lots of the jus. Could be why it freezes so well.

Freeze in ziploc bags and then to reheat drop the bag in hot water on the stove top. It's very important that it steams back to temperature, otherwise it can get dry.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Sounds good! This is more St Louis-style, but it should still be fine I think. Good tip about reheating, too.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Vacuum pack or you will have lots of ice crystals.
I'd love to get a vaccum sealer but I don't have the cash or the storage space for it. A good way to remove air from a ziploc baggie is to insert a straw and suck out as much air as possible.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
I'd love to get a vaccum sealer but I don't have the cash or the storage space for it. A good way to remove air from a ziploc baggie is to insert a straw and suck out as much air as possible.
I'm in your boat KK. I usually squeeze the air out and repeat the next day, but the straw technique sounds great

Joined Sep 5, 2008
A good way to remove air from a ziploc baggie is to insert a straw and suck out as much air as possible.
You could also use the water displacement method – although most of the time I don't even use a straw, I just close the ziplock until there's an opening smaller than my mouth, and suck out the air directly from the opening.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Vac bagge dis best, will keep a year in the deep freeze(if it lasts that long)

Joined Jan 4, 2011
By my house come October, in at least 1 big mall, we have a "pop-up" type store called Products from: "As Seen On TV". I've seen vacuum sealers for $19.99 and less.
I'd love to get a vaccum sealer but I don't have the cash or the storage space for it.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
By my house come October, in at least 1 big mall, we have a "pop-up" type store called Products from: "As Seen On TV". I've seen vacuum sealers for $19.99 and less.

I don't frequent malls much but will be on the lookout for such a store. Sounds like a fun place.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Pulled pork and chicken freeze really well. I usually just use zip lock bags-don't have a vac sealer-and haven't had any real problems using them. My usual method for reheating is to let the meat thaw then heat it in a pot with a little of the sauce I want on it, diluted with just a touch of water. The water will evaporate out as the meat heats, leaving you with a sauce that isn't over reduced.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Those really cheap vacuum sealers do not pull a real vacuum and they break right away. Save up and get a foodsaver, it is about the size of a loaf of bread so easy to store.

Latest posts

Top Bottom