Best way to chop saffron?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by riffwraith, Sep 13, 2019 at 3:11 PM.

1. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi

I searched around, but couldn't find anything.

I need to, very finely, chop Saffron, so I can use it in my spice blend. I have been doing so on my board with a sharp knife, (like I do with parsley) and it works, but the difficulty I have is some of the saffron tends to not stay on the board, due to the rigidity. What do the rest of you do? Can I put it in one of those coffee grinder-type-things?

Thanks in advance.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What other spices are in your blend? If while hard spices I would definitely just add the saffron and grind with a blade-type coffee grinder. Or a Magic Bullet. :)

3. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Mortar and pestle

mike9 and french fries like this.
  4. riffwraith

riffwraith

Exp:
    At home cook
    Other spices are S&P, cumin, cinnamon, garlic powder, pap, ginger powder.

So, a coffee grinder is ok? Cool. Thanks.

Mortar and pestle - ah, didn't think of that - thanks!

5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Since the others are already powdered... I’d knife cut and mortar/pestle. Unless a very very fine powder is okay.

6. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Saffron.com sells pulverized saffron, they claim it doesn't affect shelf life, though you perhaps loose some "high notes" faster that way. Most likely could not tell the difference even if so. You do need to pulverize/macerate saffron, otherwise the essence could take forever to leech out. I made a quantity of saffron rice using whole saffron, it was finished after 3 days and each day got noticeably stronger.

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I put it in my dedicated-for-spices coffee grinder with whole cumin coriander and such

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    First make sure your saffron is dry, if it isn't then you can dry it out in a pan on super-low heat. Then mortar and pestle.

Personally I don't bother though. I use saffron a LOT. When I use it I use it at the last minute (I never include it in spice blends) and as it's already dry I just pinch it and move my fingers to pulverize it in between my thumb and index finger. Usually in some liquid, for example the cooking liquid for a braise such as paella, or some lemon juice to include it in a marinade.

9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'd think the other ingredients in your blend would overpower the saffron.

10. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I don't know if I'm the odd-ball here (in particular) but to me Saffron tastes a lot like fermented shrimp paste, so I can't imagine much of anything overpowering it. Well, a lot of lemon can kill it. I had to send the saffron mussels back cause the chef seriously overdid the lemon. You often don't get the best help on an island tourist destination.