best technique/Chick,Legs/in Orange sauce.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by alexb, Oct 13, 2014.

1. alexb

alexb

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi,

this is a largely improvised dish, trying to use some good principles of cooking. And to improve my knowledge of principles I would like to ask some general advice.

I have five chicken drumsticks and some orange juice and I want to incorporate them with either wine or Brandy.

My first feeling is to brown the chicken legs in butter and a little olive oil +S&P. 

I would like to incorporate onions and a touch of garlic.

After removing the chicken I would sauté the onions and a pinch of garlic intill soft.

I could then pour in 50% of my liquid which would be either  white wine, or some brandy . If I use both how could this be done or is it not recommended?

After reduction of some of the alcohol I would place the chicken legs back in and pour the orange juice in with slices of ginger and dry tarragon stirring a little to mix . 

Then it would go into the oven and cook at 350 or 375 for about 45 or 50 minutes. uncovered.

Rice of course would accompany it .

What do you think?

and thank's to all.

Alex 

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Personally I would sweat the onions with about 3 - 4 cloves garlic, but that's just me.

You may want to bbe careful about using wine. The orange juice will be quite acidic, and a dry, acidic wine might just be too much.

mjb.

tweakz likes this.
  3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook

grande likes this.
  4. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I was never succesful with orange sauces. Tricky.

Was thinking in using orange marmelade and brandy for a quick try. Opinions?

5. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Check this technique:

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Another technique with brown sauce (fond brun):

7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    One more.

8. alexb

alexb

Exp:
    At home cook

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  9. alexb

alexb

Exp:
    At home cook
    What I am after is a pure simplification of the more sophisticated orange sauce. I sometimes pick up some chicken legs or thighs and throwing together some oranges some wine and fooling around with some other ingredients , I have made some nice results.for example I do not see the employment of onions and garlic or white wine . but they have made a nice result . brandy and wine I used this time was not bad either . 

Next time I will omit the White wine and try a Grand Marnier perhaps .

I am looking for a quick simplification of these recipes. Using principles of good cooking. Purhaps I should sear first and then roasted the chicken in the casserole dish  then , when done make the sauce afterward using a reduction of the cooking juices . 

My way now is to cook everything together in the oven like a casserole( I am not saying this is better it's just what I've been doing). I am really interested in techniques here. I know I can go to my sources and find the perfect recipe for Orange sauce but I am more interested in cooking techniques and shortcuts for time saving.

From what I can tell in the videos they use sugar, liquor , vinegar?, Oranges, orange zest, Chicken stock? ( I use chicken stock too)this time . 

As I cook I like to strictly adhere to recipes, except for this one, which I am experimenting with.

10. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014