Chef Forum banner

Best steak ever for grilling: chuck?

4K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  planethoff 
#1 ·
So like most I've spent way too much $$ on rib-eyes, porterhouses, new works and other fancy steaks for grilling parties, and they were all delicious. 

But the other day I bought chuck steaks (it looks like a slice of chuck but I suppose the butcher knows which piece to cut?) and grilled them to medium-rare. They were the absolute BEST steak I've ever had!!! The meat was juicy, flavorful and very tender (I was expecting it to be a bit tougher than a rib eye, but it was just as tender). There were bits of fat a little bit everywhere, rather than one big chunk in once place as in a rib-eye. That meant that I ate the fat, as each forkful had a little piece of it along with a larger piece of meat. 

Now every time I go to the butcher section of that market I always hunt for the one or two chuck steaks that the butcher has prepared, completely at the bottom of the shelve, to the side, way behind all the crazy expensive fancy steaks. 

Unfortunately the butcher charges more for those steaks than he does for a large piece of chuck - but it's still way less than any premium steak. 

#5 ·
I think i have extolled the virtues of chuckeye steak on this site before. The end of the chuck goes into the ribeye. You get about 2 small steaks out of it that have ribeye type marbling. I buy these for steaks and sometimes I slice them for stir fry
So that would explain why there are only a couple of those available sometimes, not always.

Man whenever I see these I feel like I scored something magical. The last one I grilled was, in my opinion, more flavorful and more tender than a rib-eye!!

#17 · (Edited)
Here's another take on chucky -
OK, So how many people have a "JOULE" at home?

Outside of that, it was a very nice video.
I have one now and it does bagged souse vide very well. I like that it connects with you through a smart phone app so you can do other things elsewhere while it's doing its thing. I'm not getting rid of my PID setup that I use with a hot plate though. With that I can put the probe into a pot of stock and keep it at a set temperature for as long as I want the only thing is I need to keep track of the time. You can't do that with Joule. I can do bag souse vide with the PID also, but it doesn't circulate like Joule does. The PID/hotplate is a bit cheaper to set up, but is a little more complicated.

Here is a 3.3 lb. chuck roast I seamed, trimmed and tied back together - probably closer to 2.5 lbs. after. Here I'm searing the outside -

This is after 133F for 44hrs. -

It was delicious and I made chili out of the leftover and that was delicious. Souse vide is a great way to cook and in the long run saves energy if you pay for your own like we home owners do.

#21 ·
Wow I've never been tempted by sous vide until now!

Seriously though, how can one recreate this in the oven?
I don't think you can, maybe if you have a cvap? Closest you can easily do is braise low and slow. What part tempts you? If it's medium rare pieces of lower cost meat, that's awfully hard to do any other way. That said, anova is supposed to be coming out with a $99 circulator, which makes the payback awfully short.

#23 ·
Thanks guys, chuck eye's are great steaks.  I am a cynical bastard and thought this was the butcher trying to make a piece of chuck sound better.   Oh was I wrong!  I found a couple nicely marbled ones separately over a couple weeks and fired them up on Sunday.  Absolutely fabulous.  Thanks everyone for the thread. 

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.