BEST PROFILE FOR A BEGINNER

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by nuffel, Jul 5, 2015.

1. nuffel

nuffel

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello everybody,

I'm just a starting home cook but I like food a lot and I've got plans to follow an education.

Here are a lot of experienced cooks that learned their techniques with german or french profiles.

Everybody has a preference, but mostly this comes down to the profile you learned your skills with I guess...

Knowing what you know today, if you would start all over:

What do you guys think is the best profile to learn? And why?

German or French/Japanese.

I know the skills are more important as the knife, but since I don't have the skills at the moment...
    I just figure that I should start with the best possible profile to learn those skills.

I hope you guys can help with your vision on this :)

Greetings

2. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    As always, it depends. If you're a tall guy, standing behind too low a table and want to rock-chop, have a German blade. High tip, fat belly, handle heavy. If you pinch-grip and chop or slice, the handle heaviness will fatigue you. If you are a short guy a high tip is useless. (guess why the Japanese tips are even lower than the French ones.)
    By the way, if you're rock-chopping from the shoulder, don't look for a hard Japanese blade. You will destroy the edge in minutes. Have a fat German in soft, though stainless.
    http://www.cookfoodgood.com/?p=399

3. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook