Best Professional Cook Books for learning methods and terminology

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by Dylan Murphy, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Dylan Murphy

Dylan Murphy

Exp:
    2years
    Hi guys,
    My head chef has been on to me and has been giving me names of books to read to broaden my knowledge i.e La Rousse Gastronomic I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what they have used throughout there career. And also which is the best for someone like me who only has two years experience.

linecookliz likes this.
  2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking by Ruhlman

Culinary Artistry by Dornenburg and Page

On Food and Cooking : The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by McGee

Saucier's Apprentice by Sokolov

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What cheflayne said, plus Complete Techniques by Pepin

4. Dylan Murphy

Dylan Murphy

Exp:
    2years
    Thanks alot this will help alot

5. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    If you don't mind reading a textbook, 'Professional Cooking' by Wayne Gisslen is a great all-around reference book. Easier to read than competitors like 'On Cooking' by Sarah R. Labensky and 'The Professional Chef' by The Culinary Institute of America.

The other books suggested on this thread are more of a supplemental reading that will prove a lot more useful once you have a solid general knowledge foundation to build on. On their own, I found them to be too random and too detailed in some respects.

I can honestly say that I go back to 'Professional Cooking' by Wayne Gisslen more times than any other books in my collection.

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yeah you can buy a lot of these used too. The standard knowledge doesn't change.

7. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The French Laundry cookbook has tons and tons of phenomenal cooking advice, and advice on being a chef and what it means, how to be/act, etc. Great read, a lot more than just a "cheffie" cookbook

8. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Couldn’t concur most. Professional cooking, is a great resource from soup to nuts. Basics in clean cooking technique and well illustrated.

9. 504chef_

504chef_

Exp:
    15 years
    Jacques Pepin the complete teqniues, food lovers companion , the reach of a chef by Michael ruhlman. Also check used bookshops for things that look interesting to you personally.

Good luck, knowledge is never complete. What they know you can always learn

10. linecookliz

linecookliz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    101 Things I Learned in Culinary School by Louis Eguaras and Matthew Frederick is useful.

11. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    For terminology you can't beat "La Repertoire de la cuisine," but it's kind of overwhelming and dated (meaning almost nobody adheres to the classification any more outside France).

12. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    There's a slightly more modernized version called 'The Chef's Repertoire' by Gui Alinat. Not as extensive but equally useful.