Best $$ for veal shanks in Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rufustf, Dec 22, 2009.

1. rufustf

rufustf

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello-

I've got some visiting relatives this Christmas eve, and this year i got a hankerin' for some osso buco. Anyway, the whole foods price is $20 per lb. and I was hoping someone here could point me to a better place. I'm in Silverlake.

(For the extra $$ charged, I've been kind of underwhelmed by whole foods meat. The product carried by many other grocers has rarely been inferior.)

I'm also guessing that the place at the sunday farmers market @ fairfax & 3rd is only open on sundays. Am I wrong?

Any tip welcome.
    Thanks-
    RTF

2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    That entire farmer's market is open every day. Some merchants may be closed on certain day, so you still may want to check with them before you go.

PS: I guess that's a good place to look for meat. The two butchers there have decent prices. Jons usually has incredible prices. The one in North Hollywood where I live now has pretty good quality meat.

3. grumio

grumio

Exp:
    At home cook
    Jon's, but they're not definitely going to have it every time you go there.

Still, Jon's is my favorite, & for bizarre ingredients, it can't be beat. The one on Santa Monica just east of the freeway is usually less crowded & chaotic than the one @ Vermont & Hollywood. I'm in Silver Lake too, around the corner from the Saturday farmer's market...

4. rufustf

rufustf

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I forgot to mention I'd been to Jons. They usually have the veal breast, and the rest is hit or miss. I dog that place, but no veal shanks today. Or tomorrow.
    Anything else?

5. rufustf

rufustf

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Uh, I mean I dig that place.
    Oops.
    Typo.
    I'll inquire about the two butchers @ the Fairfax @ 3rd market.