Chef Forum banner

Best food film?

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  kimmie 
#1 ·
My vote for best food movie is "Eat Drink Man Woman." The food shots are awesome. The storyline is good too, but for those of us who are in awe of food, this is a must see. What's your vote for best food movie?

Kuan

#2 ·
SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE starring Sarah Michelle Gellar (BUFFY), this movie is so kyoote, a must see for food lover and romantic fanatics. :p

But, I agree with you KUAN on EAT Man..that movie made me so hungry, watchin the father cook all those delicious meals. The filming was superb. :eek:

#4 ·
I have only seen a little of Babettes Feast, the interesting thing is I work for a chef who actually worked on the film. I think he was an apprentice under the Chef in charge of all the food, anyway,he actually worked on it. He has shown me the actual notes and shopping lists, faxes and all the different menus that were considered. We, with the local university's foreign film department may show the film then do the exact menu....that would be pretty exciting!

#7 ·
The Chef gave me a copy of the menu:
in English,
Turtle Soup
Blinis Demidoff with Russian Caviar
Quail in coffin with Truffle Sauce and Salad
Cheese
Baba with Rhum and Fruit Salad

I hear this movie and dinner thing is going to be a go, will let you know more as it develops.

#9 ·
Best Food Movie? A tie between TAMPOPO and EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN. Best restaurant movie? BIG NIGHT. Best eating movie? The wonderful but grotesque LE GRANDE BOUFFE in which four aging bachelors decide to eat and shag themselves to death. ...ANTHONY BOURDAIN

#16 ·
cchiu,
I am taking a copy home this weekend, going to do a little research on my own too. Chef says it is awfully hard to get turtles?? All I know about this event now is that it will, if it happens be a fund raiser for the university, not sure which department. I really hope we get to do this, but if we don't, we will probably do it as a wine dinner sometime.

#17 ·
Como Agua Para Chocolate (Like Water for Chocolate)- it is based on a Latin American novel, where the mood of the person cooking the food transfers to the people who eat it. One of my all-time favorite movies.

~~Shimmer~~

#19 ·
Who saw this one:

Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers (1980)

Plot Outline: For the Carnegie Museum of Art, this documentary was filmed at the restaurants Chez Panisse and Flint Bar-B-Que in Berkeley, Calif., and the Gilroy Garlic Festival.

Credited cast overview:
Werner Herzog.... Himself
Alice Waters.... Herself

This film may still be available at Amazon.com

P.S.: In the mid 90's, I knew this film was rare. We kept this film rental too long and were subject to overdue fees. When hubby brought it back the clerk said that it was so "unrented" that he didn't feel comfortable in charging overdue fees...!

;)

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

#22 ·
Yep, that one. Ruth Reichl is a very gifted writer. If any of you read the book, please add to the thread I started a while ago on the cook book forum.

Currently reading Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell as it was recommended by Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential. Finally got around to reading that one last week.

I know this is a food in film thread, so bringing it right back on target. Any one see this sci-fi Chinese film about a man who uses his superhuman powers to win a cooking contest? Can't remember what it's called.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.