Best Ever Dinner Rolls

Joined Jun 7, 2021
This recipe was given to me by my daughter in law. She got it from her mother. The tradition goes: whichever daughter makes the best dinner rolls, is responsible to make them at family gatherings This recipe, once tried. becomes an absolute family favorite. Thank you, DIL!

1lb Potatoes (aprox 3 med potatoes) Cooked and mashed. ( you can use instant potatoes if you wish too)
-Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling potatoes
-Mix: 1 1/2 C warm milk
1/2 C oil
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 TBS salt

If potato water is cool enough add 2TBS of Yeast to water and then add to previous mixture.
Add 7 1/2 C flour ( dough will be soft) and I usually mix the last cup or so into mixture by hand kneading
Let raise till double then roll out and cut into circles. Dip in melted butter, fold in half and place on greased pan.
Let raise again. Bake @ 350 for 15 min until golden brown.

also used this recipe to make yeast risen doughnuts, Bismarcks (jelly, or custard filled doughnuts), and butterscotch sticky buns. They both came out amazing. The dough was originally a pastry dough, and is very versatile. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
The texture of potato bread is awesome. Pretty sure it's a midwestern United States thing.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
Well, I checked the recipe against the famous SpuNuts doughnut recipe. They are the same. My DIL who gave me the recipe hails from Northern Oregon. So actually, this recipe originally came from Utah. It's wonderful for not only dinner rolls, but for yeast-raised doughnuts, Bismarck's, long johns, and as you said, potato bread,, as well as submarine buns.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Top Bottom