best dark chocolate for baking cakes

Joined Mar 10, 2002
What is the best dark chocolate for baking in cakes? I am looking for a deep rich flavor. This would be for use in both scratch and mix base cakes.

Thanks!

Joined Apr 28, 2003
I agree, cocoa powder does give the best but if you want chocolate; Lindt makes some of the best baking chocolates I know of but I can never find them. Instead, I buy some of the Swiss imported Nestle chocolate at the company store where I work (54%/72%/and76% cocoa butter content). Both are quite rich in flavor and melts beautifully over a double boiler.

Joined Jul 23, 2002
Callebaut chocolate is my choice. Bittersweet is my style of choice as well. I can't remember my brand of cocoa powder off the top of my head. I also use Ibarra chocolate for a groovy flourless chocolate cake with a twist.

lates,
Jon

Joined Jun 28, 2001
I am in love with Dagoba's cocoa powder. They're a fairly new chocolate maker in Oregon. Organic and fair trade is that matters to you. It smells heavenly and the taste is a happy medium, lots of flavor without being too dark and bitter.

Joined Mar 10, 2002
Thank you for the great responses. I think I might try one of these!

Joined May 8, 2002
I use Ghiradella. Made a cake last week with 12 ounces in the cake and 4 ounces in the glaze. One cake with a POUND of chocolate!

Latest posts

Top Bottom