Best culinary schools in France?

M V

Joined Sep 22, 2020
I am 21 currently, and looking for a career change. I have been researching various schools in France, for baking and pastry arts. I would like to know anything about the schools in France. Some of the schools I researched were -

1. Le Cordon Bleu
2. Alain Ducasse
3. ENSP

Also, what are your experiences of working in this field?

Joined Oct 31, 2012
The first thing I'd want to know is how much they cost and how I was going to pay for them and then how much I was going to make after school and if I could pay off the loans, if any, in addition to rent, bills, etc. Since it's France I would be curious to know if they still have the apprentice programs. Who in France goes to school and who gets experience working in restaurants. What does it take to get a job in a French kitchen if you are not a native? Years ago, if you came from another country, you needed a sponsor and two visas, one to work in France and one to work in the local area. If you could work for Alain Ducasse in one of his restaurants I'd bet you could learn quite a lot.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Hi MV,

Your last question on your post is the most important and revealing aspect of your post.

The most practical thing to do would be to find work in any type of commercial kitchen for at least 6 mths, then decide if the hospitality industry is for you. While there are many good things about this industry, there are also many bad ones, deal breakers actually, detrimental to relationships you might be in, housing situations you might be in, and favoured modes of transportation you currently have

The second thing is, do you want to go to culinary school for culinary school’s sake? Or is your goal to find employment as a cook? If it’s the latter, I have to inform you that:

A) Employers really don’t care about your schooling that much
B) Employers are more concerned about your work experience and ability to work with others
C) If you have “0” work experience prior to culinary school, you will have “0” work experience after graduating.( Assuming that you don’t work p/t during school that is)

So, the smart thing to do would be to get a job as dishwasher or prep cook—a route that most if not all cooks take- and then think about school.

France is great, but why there? Is French your first or second language? If so, it’s a great fit, if not, and you still want to go there, start learning French.

Hope all this helps

Top Bottom