best culinary programs

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by notyetchef, May 6, 2005.

1. notyetchef

notyetchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have been in the F&B business for about 4 years now and I am going to a local community college to study culinary arts. I am looking ahead to transfer into larger programs and schools but getting a strait answer out of a scholastic advisor without bias is turning out to be more difficult the I thought, not to mention every college I contact has the "best" culinary program. If any one would please give me some advice on what schools carry the most weight in the industry please let me know. I have looked at Johnson and Wales, The CIA, Drexel, John Stockton, and Paul Smith's. Any information would be greatly appreciated. On a lighter note I did ask the chef I am currently working with, but I think he is the MASTER of the buying anything and everything frozen, nothing made fresh so as far as an expert opinion he would probably be the last on my list of people to listen to. But to tie in the salmon discussion- ours comes out of a frozen vacuum-sealed bag. Ouch.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi Notyetchef and welcome to Chef Talk. You packed a lot of information and questions into to your post here in the Welcome Forum. I'd suggest you post your questions about schools in the Culinary Schools forum. A number of our members are culinary instructors, so you can get their perspectives. Your observation about salmon would be better posted in that thread.

In any case, you are one enthusiastic future chef! Make yourself at home, visit all the forums and participate often. Let us know if you have questions about the site.

Regards,
    Mezzaluna