Best cooking show currently on tv for professional cooks?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by adamburgerdavis, Oct 8, 2012.

1. adamburgerdavis

adamburgerdavis

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I was looking for a good debate starter while browsing here and watching Iron Chef America.

If you truly pay attention to the food and not the theatrics (ie celeb judges, lame jokes) there really isnt a better show out there for a professional cook to watch.

I would put Diners, Drive-ins and Dives in second because of all the behind the scenes time it shows and Restaurant Impossible in third just for the humor of it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. chipsahoy

chipsahoy

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Iron chef is great, amazing plates, different ways of cooking and plating food, love it.

Chopped is second try to think of a dish to make along with the contestants, test yourself with them.

kitchen impossible with Ramsay, lets you get a owner/operators view of how some business's could be run to be successful. 

3. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Hard question as I generally despise most cooking orientated TV shows.

(almost all of them leave out the details -and you know where the devil lives?)

Some are seemingly OK for creative ideas, but they don't work so much with paying customers expecting a meal.

4. guts

guts

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Best for what? Knowledge, or entertainment?

Most of them are sh--.

The only ones I would currently recommend are no longer on the air.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  5. rainliberty

rainliberty

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I'd recommend Top Chef to anyone who wants to see chefs who work in some of the best restaurants in the country.

6. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It's hard to rate these shows because you find yourself having to separate the drama from the actual cooking.

The shows expose us to new and different ingredients but technique is most always left off camera, so we don't always get to see the prep what goes on behind the scenes.

7. r6zack

r6zack

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    If I find myself watching a cooking show, it's going to be for entertainment only, so I dig the more elaborate ones. Restaurant Impossible, Restaurant Stakeout, those types. Not sure why but I can't stand more than about 3 minutes of most other cooking shows, especially Top Chef!

8. necigrad02

necigrad02

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Top Chef- real talent, less drama

Chopped- fun to see people try to pull something together quickly

F-word- ramsays england show bbc

avec eric- eric ripert from La Bernadin in NYC...one of best

9. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Chopped  to see how everyones brain works differently. Also creative

10. necigrad02

necigrad02

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Two of the best back in the 90's were world class cuisine and Great Chefs on discovery....real restaurants...

11. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    real documentary style shows about real chefs in real settings have all but been replaced by dramatic 

heavily edited and cut together "reality" shows. sometimes entertaning, but you cant learn from what they 

dont show you. i get more out of archived footage of julia child. the only one i consistently LEARN from is diners &

dives. and chopped, but mostly just finished product ideas from oddball ingredients.

12. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is gonna be a fun thread. 

I'm not calling anyone out. I'm not challenging anyone's opinion, or claiming that anyone's opinions are wrong. This is only conversation. Everything is all fine and good.

My two(2) top shows are, in no order except the way I'm typing, are "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives", and "The "F"-Word". Both shows have given me an amazing number of real usable edible affordable doable accessible recipes. On opposite sides of the coin you have Guy the banana, and a very tolerable Gordon. I've learned and swiped many dishes from these two(2) shows. 

Iron Chef is entertainment, nothing more. The $$$ spent on that show are more than the GNP of many small countries. Fun, but not realistic. 

Chopped is garbage. A generally bad show. The combinations they use are stupid. I see very little value professionally from that. The judges, on the other hand, are idiot morons. All things being equal ... I'd like to stab the bageebies out of almost every judge that's ever been on that show with a fork. 

Top - Chef is just cool. One(1) word makes it a great show otherwise ... "Padma".

Any show with any of the following is just fine too:  

It shouldn't take an abacus to figure out my motivation. We're not talking rocket-surgery here.

This is TV ... it's entertainment. DUH.  

I'm sure I'll have more to say as things go on. LOL. 

13. kvonnj

kvonnj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Anything that doesn't include Ina Garten or Anne Burrell.

14. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Awesome post iceman! What no Nadia G??

Ive been watching Nigella Bites for years. Anyone remember the one where she hunkered

down at the end of the show in the bathtub with nothin on and enjoyed a snickers bar? lol

I think you missed a few other....rocket scientists too. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

15. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    If I have time , Chopped. Spontaneous ideas, speed , their drive. I like to see pure raw talent . I have seen some pretty sad dishes but at the same time some terrific food combinations and plating skills that could make it to a lot of menus.

Petals

16. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry.       She wasn't on the link that I was referencing from.  Thanks for your thoughts though. 

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  17. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    LOL I was just goin with the fun. Some love her, some hate her with a  passion.

I find her entertaining, her recipes basic, but for the most part foolproof. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif

18. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Don't You mean In your opinion chopped is garbage.?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  19. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think that the "qualifiers"  that I started off my post with explain exactly what I mean.  I do that for this exact reason.

20. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    ?????