Best Cook Book

Joined Sep 5, 2020
Hi Chef's!
I am looking for a best book to buy. Can you please tell me is there any book which covers most recipes.
TIA

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Most recipes of what? What is it you want to learn? My first recommendation for any one interested in the basics of general cooking is "The Joy of Cooking". Start with that.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
You can't really go wrong with one of Delia Smith's cooking books either.
Solid recipes

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Julia Child, Mastering the Art, v.1-2 has the great advantage that she explains everything in clear, unambiguous terms.

But there is no such thing as "the best" cookbook -- only best for certain purposes, as precisely defined as possible.

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Yeah, I think this thread is starting from a false premise. Looking for any sort of compendium of wide reaching recipes is just looking for mediocrity. I prefer cookbooks with a narrow focus where the author is an expert in that style and their passion flows through all of the recipes. Given that criteria, the broadest I would go is something like Mastering the Art of French Cooking since it is a broad attempt to write down the classic French repertoire for home cooks, but is still passionate about the particular subject of French Food.

The most eclectic I would recommend is something like J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's The Food Lab (which is a focused, evidence based attempt to determine the best way to do a lot of classic preparations) or something like Alton Brown's Good Eats 3 volume cookbook set, which reduces to writing all of the Good Eats episodes and recipes. It is not authoritative and most things have Alton's particular spin on them, but it is a good primer for most Western cooking topics. It is also more contemporary than something like The Joy of Cooking.

Joined Dec 1, 2016
Leiths “How to Cook” is a great book. It is essentially the professional cookery course that they teach at their school in London. Has a lot of techniques as well as recipes.

Joined Dec 1, 2016
You can't really go wrong with one of Delia Smith's cooking books either.
Solid recipes
Agree on that one. Delia Smith’s “How to Cook - Book One” was the first ever cookbook I bought. She was really slated by all the celebrity chefs at the time, but really starts with the basics - how to boil an egg. The approach is build a good solid foundation, build some confidence and go on from there.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I've got a local bookstore getting me a copy of this book, I've heard it is a pretty good guide to Chinese cuisine. But being such an incredibly broad spectrum of diverse areas and ingredients, I'm sure that 1 book is not nearly enough.

5158l7D9ZsL._SL350_.jpg

mjb.

Top Bottom