Best chinois, mesh strainers?

Joined May 20, 2019
My niece told me she just broke her old mesh strainer (making tomato paste). This is a great opportunity for me to add more things to her collection that I've been working on over the years. I've already selected an immersion blender for her (the Dynamic MiniPro MFR # MX070.1), which is supposedly one of the best options available for immersion blenders. But I'd like to ask you professional chefs/enthusiasts again about :

#1. fine mesh strainers and
#2. chinois

I read a few links, such as :

But I was wondering if there are any clear trusted high quality commercial products pro chefs use that I should depend on? Hopefully it is something made in the USA or Europe. Also, if possible, can you include what sizes you feel I should get her so she is able to make anything in her cooking attempts? Cost is not really an issue as long as it is high quality, efficient, etc. (I don't care about aesthetics). If I need to get three or four different mesh strainers and two chinois, then I'm fine with that as long as she has whatever she needs.

Joined Oct 6, 2020
I have the "Cuisinart, Silver Mesh Strainers (Set of 3) CTG-00-3MS" listed at the link you posted. They have worked well for the 8 months or so that I have owned them.

Joined Jul 15, 2020
I'm not a professional, but as an ambitious home cook, I picked up a set of 3 Browne Foodservice China caps (coarse, medium, and fine chinois) and am quite happy with them. I love the hooks on the edge that keep them firmly seated on the rim of the vessel you are straining into... I wish they were a little smaller sometimes, but the large commercial size is great for squeezing juices out of things like lobster shells.

With respect to your niece breaking her fine mesh strainer, if she does not already know, you should tell her to never try and force things through a fine mesh strainer with utensils whether to speed it up or whatever. That is a recipe for separating the fragile mesh from the rim or making holes in it. Only ever tap the edge to help the liquid pass naturally.

Joined May 20, 2019
With respect to your niece breaking her fine mesh strainer, if she does not already know, you should tell her to never try and force things through a fine mesh strainer with utensils whether to speed it up or whatever. That is a recipe for separating the fragile mesh from the rim or making holes in it. Only ever tap the edge to help the liquid pass naturally.
I will pass the message along, thank you.

For the chinois, I think I'm going to get a Matfer and pestle:

Joined Nov 9, 2020
The mafter is a he!! of a china cap, sorry, chinois, but they're freaking pricey for what it is... you gotta also consider when using a pestle with a chinois you have to be gentle... you're literally forcing a squared-off peg into a round cap. It's more of an orbital motion - if you're shoving it through like you're stuffing meat into a grinder, even that Mafter is going to shed its screen and beg to quit.

Like EVERY tool you use in a commercial kitchen, there's a learning curve how to use it and not abuse it. The cap is no different. Jam it and abuse it and it will turn tail and die. Caress it and it will become a joy to use and become the solution to a problem... :emoji_smirk:

Joined May 25, 2015
The mafter is a he!! of a china cap, sorry, chinois, but they're freaking pricey for what it is.
When all you need is this:

Joined Jul 15, 2020
When all you need is this:

Yep, the no-name commercial stuff is usually the best. It all gets branded as Browne here in Canada, but it's solid stuff and inexpensive.

Joined Jul 15, 2020
Mind pointing me to an inexpensive source in Canada?
Russell-Hendrix is pretty decent most of the time:
When you take into account exchange rate, shipping, and duties when buying from an American source.

The really fine chinois is more expensive than I remember, but it is still half the price of the Matfer.

Joined Oct 6, 2020
Joined May 20, 2019
The mafter is a he!! of a china cap, sorry, chinois, but they're freaking pricey for what it is...
It is either the Matfer or the Rosle chinois and pestle (if I can get it shipped here somehow):

Top Bottom