Best Burgers? or Most expensive?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,450027079,00.html

Some high points:

The very idea of a $41 burger got Greg Sherry, the owner of the restaurant, on the NBC Today Show Wednesday morning. Sherry explained his burger has a special bun, champagne-infused mustard sauce, homemade ketchup, exotic mushrooms, shredded baby lettuce and a wedge of garlic butter infused into the middle of the meat.
But the prize ingredient is the meat — 20 ounces of Kobe beef, imported from Japan. "It is the finest meat you can possibly find," Greg said, explaining that Kobe cows are raised on beer, massaged daily and brought to maturity very slowly.
By that standard, Beverly Hills teenagers would make great burgers.

On local burgers, he continues:

Most do not serve burgers at all. Some said they serve them on their lunch menu or kids' menu, but not as a dinner item.
But they do serve burgers at The Metropolitan, which was a surprise at one of Salt Lake's most elite dining spots. They call theirs a Bleu Burger and it's on their bistro menu, priced at $10. It features a special bleu cheese sauce, red onions, tomatoes, lettuce and comes with beer-battered onion rings and cole slaw. I made the mistake of asking all this before dinner.
Until further notice, that ties as Salt Lake's most expensive burger with one served at the New Yorker — wouldn't you know it? — that also sells for $10. The New Yorker burger is only sold in the cafe bar, however, not in the restaurant proper. It features avocado, bacon and Jack cheese, if desired, and comes with fries.
Until further notice, however, the state's most expensive burger is at Adolph's Restaurant in Park City, where for $10.50 you can get a half-pound burger served with white cheddar cheese, bacon and hand-cut fries. According to the person on the telephone doing the describing, "It is really very good."

Phil again. My favorit burger in town was the Bacon Mushroom Cheeseburger at Chuck-n-Fred's. I've not been back since it changed hands. I'm hoping C&F retired and the mail order bride to the chef is still running it. That was about $5.50.

It was something you didn't dare put down once you picked it up. It would fall apart otherwise and the great combination of flavors was best together, not alone. I still wonder what he did to the mushrooms. They were small button mushrooms cooked so they turned almost black and whose flavor ended with a lemony acidic finish. These aren't grilled or salamandered, just grilled on the steel griddle. Shredded lettuce, tomato, bacon, cheese, meat and condiments. No pickle, no mustard, though they are available on request.

The second best burger is at Ray's Tavern in Green River. It may not actually be as good as I remember as all my times there come after long days hiking in the San Rafael Swell or in Canyonlands. That can kinda influence the food experience. Served open face on the bottom bun, leaf lettuce, tomato, pickle and top bun arranged around. Condiments at the table. These are cooked on the griddle too.

Tell me about the burgers where you live.

Phil -- a San Rafael pic, along Muddy Creek

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Beautiful photo Phil,

I've read about the $41 burger. The best Steak houses in this country should be serving native beef. Although Kobe is amazing,I rather see our own ranchers get our $$

I'm very simple when it comes to burgers. I love mine grilled over charcoal MR,I toast the bun,melt some maytag bleu cheese,some thin sliced red onion and A sauce :)

Not gourmet,but hey...works fine with a Aussie Syrah

Joined Dec 4, 2002
I was kinda waiting for this thread to pop up.

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/dining/index.html

I was on the verge of going out to try this so-called burger, ravenous and salivating until I read the article.

Then I was gonna try Peter Lugar's, but most reviews about that place scare me off.

Keen's Chophouse sounds good. I used to work for the owner, but back then it used to get horrible reviews. Seems that is considered pretty good these days.

I love a good burger, but am too wary to order one in a restaurant.

I can only stomach one made at home, toasted bun is essential, lettuce, tomato, sliced red onion, a slice of Gruyere and some Dijon mustard. Yum.

They just don't make em like they used to.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
On the reply page below all the smilies is a bank of buttons. The IMG button launches a box where you enter the URL of the desired picture. Type that in and close the box. The required code is automatically inserted in your response. Not usually where you want it, but always at the bottom. Cut and paste to move it where you want it in your post.

Here is another from Muddy Creek

Phil

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Carls is a St. Louis institution....a tiny diner that has only 20 or so seats....they serve hambergers smushed on the griddle in front of you...fires are fired when ordered.
This place has been running for 55 years, it is always interesting to see who's there.
oh yeah they parcel out ketchup in stupid paper cups...."more please"

Liluma puts salad of iceberg, tomatoes and mayo on their burger....pretty tasty. I think it's $9...fries are great.

Cardwell's at the plaza has a monster that has cheddar home made chunky BBQ sauce, bacon and then the garnishes...I wanna say it's 10 oz. about $10 or so bucks.

We have no good onion rings in town....it is a trully sad thing.

I like a multitude of burgers but guess if I were to choose....ground top sirloin, melted sharp cheddar, caramelized onions and a ton of them thank you very much, Cardwell's chunky sauce and lettuce...probably iceberg for the crunch. Coarse if it's tomato season a slab of juicy ripe mato....brioche bun toasted.
about 6oz. of meat.

Yumm.....I'm sick today and have had onion soup for the last 3 days....will be glad when this junk clears up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom