Best Bakeware?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by pumpkingrl, Jan 4, 2005.

1. pumpkingrl

pumpkingrl

Wondering if you guys had any suggestions for the best bakeware in the market?

Thanks!

:chef:

2. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    For general purpose home baking I go cheap and get the non stick bakeware you find in the Housewares section of the supermarket. It does the job well enough and is cheap enough to throw away after a couple of years and buy new ones. Pyrex pie plates are pretty inexpensive at the grocery store too.

Jock

3. aohara

aohara

I love my doughmasters cookie sheet, it is the best I've ever used. I want to get more of their stuff. Otherwise, I have some chicago metallic which are good and basic and not too expensive. Their perforated baguette pan is great.

4. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Exactly what kind of bakeware are you looking for? For cakes, I am extremely happy with Magic Line. They bake evenly, are reasonbly priced, and take a beating. For sheet pans, I buy the ones from restaurant supply stores for the same reasons.

5. phishstyx

phishstyx

I like heavy aluminum pans, no non-stick coating (I know they're popular, but I really dislike non-stick baking pans). I know that's a generic answer but a good pan is a good pan no matter who made it so I tend to not worry about brands as long as the pan meets my standards. LotusCakeStudio's suggestion about restaurant supply stores is a good one, I get a lot of my pans for home through our supplier at the restaurant.

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've been debating some 8 inch silicone cake pans. Any reports on using them?

Phil

7. tracy1967

tracy1967

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I had tried Wilton silicone baking molds, but just not sure if it was me or the molds. I just couldn't get a decent cake baked.  Then I read an article from the InternetChef on silicone bakeware and tried it. Now everything is fine. I also had to change from the Wilton brand.  But for decorations, Wilton is still the best.

8. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I tried an 8 inch silicone cake pan and really disliked it.  Too floppy, things baked differently (not necessarily worse but took longer), and it was a pain to wash.  I finally threw it out.  Just a gimmick I really didn't need.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  9. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Over the 5 years since this was first posted, I've used a bunch of silicone bakeware and liked it quite well.

10. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Great post to revive, Tracy!

I dislike all the rules associated with silicone and no-stick pans.

Magic line is still tops IMO.

I prepare the pan for baking by greasing with my home-made cake release (equal parts of AP flour, neutral oil and solid veg shortening, plop into container and whisk together).

This mixture will keep for quite a long time if it is sealed with a tight fitting lid and stored in a cool place.

It will "break" between uses, so I stir around with the application brush every time. Coat pan lightly, then place cut to fit parchment paper and proceed as usual.

I am also quite the fan of silpat sheets for cookie baking (no need to grease the cookie sheet for this indispensable cookie pan tool).

mimi

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011