Best advice I have gotten on keeping people from using/ruining your good tools

Joined Aug 18, 2015
I am a home cook who is okay and has some nice things. Family and friends love to grab and abuse those things under the guise of cooking or helping. Examples (there are so, so many): 1. Bought the Victorinox paring knife based on advice here, used it once to open and scrape vanilla beans. I come home the next day to find my wife using it to trim cardboard to mount a poster in a frame. 2. I go to the bathroom and return 3 minutes later to find a friend warming rice in my brand new scanpan using the metal spatula I use with my cast iron (I have no idea why)

A friend is a food fan, a better business attorney, and has been through therapy for a long time. I was talking about my cooking knives and good pans issues. Best observation and advice ever followed.

Buy something this is cheap but looks cool, and hang/mount it closest to the work area. 'It is new and you use it, so I need to use it, too'

I tested it with a orange handle Rachael Ray Santoku and it looks fancy so I bought it for cheap on Amazon. Kept the blade guard on to look better, put it on the rail closest to the board and it is keeping people away from the better knives. I just got new fancy looking red handled Sur La Table skillets thanks to the one-thousandth 60% off email I got this month, and I have hung them on the rack closest to the stove. No issue with someone bypassing for the good pans yet, and I didn't cringe this morning for brunch when I used it for scrambled eggs and I was 'helped' by someone with a metal spoon.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2014
Thats nice if you have money (and space) to double everything. I just dont put up with any malarkey in my kitchen.

Joined May 25, 2015
 I find my surly personality to be an excellent deterrent.
I have doors on my kitchen and make it known that nobody belongs in there except me. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif

Joined Aug 18, 2015
The funny reason I decided my friend's theory deserved trying out to the extent of buying stuff was I bought the giant huge silicone ice cube tray because I thought they would go great with whiskey. My wife gently mocked the size.

Then she and the friends who came over the next two weeks totally skipped over the normal trays to use the giant ones for everything including when the cubes barely fit into the glass.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Well ... I don't know. Both sample sets used here, wife and friends, don't all so much work for me. My wife is way smart enough to not misuse my stuff. And none of my friends, whatever the case may be, are stupid enough to ever touch the stuff in my kitchen without asking. On the other hand ... none of my stuff is irreplaceable. It's only "stuff". My wife and friends I guess, are not so much stuff.

"We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery."

Joined Mar 19, 2009
Weird situation. Non of my friends touch my knives and stuff. They come home to eat and have a good time, not to cook or do the dishes. And my wife has its own cleaver -mostly the only knife she uses-, which of course i sharpen and care because she's brutal with the edges!

Last edited:
Joined Jun 27, 2012
I have all the neat personal electronic toys.

Smart phone, Ipad, Kindle and laptop.

The rest of the family also has these things but cannot seem to keep them from malfunctioning.

Why you ask?

Everyone else (you too fisherman!!) lets the little kids and toddlers (sticky hand alert!) play with them.

Not me.... and I don't care if they think I am mean or stingy.

To stay OT..... I have a core set of GOOD pans (baking pans... small saucepans for candy.... silicone spats...a few knives (stuff like that) that under the fear of never having another sweet from my hands... NO ONE touches.

mimi

Joined Jul 28, 2001
I have my own double cabinet under the counter that is mine. All mine. It did have a small label on it the first couple of years, but it's worn off. I keep just about anything that bothers me

if someone else uses it. Including family I keep everything from Saffron, my good olive oil, handed down and specialty pans, all purpose tools, mandoline, special ice cream scoops, boat keys, fisker paper scissors, M0A3, knives, voter ID card, dog tags, pasta dies, and my vacuum sealed olives someone brought me from greece, Rosary blessed and handed to me by  Pope Paul VI ,money,etc.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Even after 11 years my SO will still on rare occasions grab a petty sized knife to cut something, ALWAYS ON A PLATE.  This is especially likely to happen on weekends after she's had a few.

Fortunately she will not grab larger knives or ones that have sharp pointy heels  She will also not grab anything that is put back in its place, haha.  And that really only leaves only one of my sharp knives she can dull [as fortunately it is the only one I ever tend to leave on the counter, all others being rather special purpose by appointment].

So when I eventually buy a nice Hankotsu to take the place of that one knife, I will just have to be philosophical about about, like the Iceman.

Rick

Joined Nov 15, 2015
Buy a gun safe from your local sporting goods store, place all of your favorite equipment in there. Problem solved. One last thing, get a box cutter, they're pretty inexpensive

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I've been thinking more about this thread. As it was ... a rookie in a kitchen where I was just working thought, for some odd stupid reason, that "My stuff" was "the kitchen's stuff". After I came back in from a short break, I couldn't find a number of things. Some other guys heard me making noise and while I went out to my car to see if I really didn't bring my bag in, they confronted the guy. Apparently they insinuated to this guy that if I saw he actually had my stuff that I would probably fillet out his internal organs and mail them to his mother. I had a simple laugh when he apologized and returned my stuff. I gave him some simple lessons and even gifted him a knife from my bag so that he could call something "His". My point here is that nothing of "mine" can't be replaced on the cheap; my work or home stuff. My most expensive knife is +/- $25. My cast pans are Lodge, on sale from Target. My regular pots/pans are Calphalon, acquired free with coupons from 'da Jewels grocery store. Most of my utensils are bamboo $4 sets, and silicon on-sale sets, again from Target. I've said this numerous times before, equipment doesn't have anything to do with skills. Skills put good food on plates. My wife and/or friends don't really do anything in my kitchen, but it wouldn't make much difference if they did.

Joined Nov 15, 2015
Price and quality of equipment definitely comes into play when you're cooking for hundreds of people everyday, favorite knife i have is one i made myself from some very expensive metal. I dont see it being possible that someone could break it, handle maybe but blade no.

Joined May 5, 2010
In places I worked, if someone I saw was trying to grab one of my knives, I usually stabbed them in the back of the hand with it.

It works....trust me./img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  

Last edited:
Joined Jun 27, 2012
@IceMan  ya know I love ya bro .... and I get it.

We have a lot of Target and WM stuff as well.

It is my GOOD stuff that I mind someone using in the garden lol.

When I closed up shop I sold a shitload of my heavy bakeware, big boy mixer, SS tables (you know) but kept quite a bit for home use.

I bought this stuff over the years and it was expensive then...

Meant to last ya know?

I priced a few things the other day and was shocked.

No way could I afford (well I could just don't wanna have to) replace those items at todays prices.

mimi

Joined Jun 27, 2012

In places I worked, if someone I saw was trying to grab one of my knives, I usually stabbed them in the back of the hand with it.

It works....trust me./img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  
Did that with a fork once.

They never took food off my plate with those grubby things again lol.

mimi

Latest posts

Top Bottom