Beringer 1997 Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by nicko, Oct 17, 2001.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Has anyone tried Beringer 1997 Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California? I saw it on wine.com.

Also curious if anyone has tried:
    Alexander Valley 1999 Cabernet Sauvignon
    Sonoma Valley, California

Looking for some rich cabs smoky in flavor, etc that are fairly reasonable. The Beringer 97 private reserve is definately way over budget, but I would be interested to taste it.

2. fodigger

fodigger

Sorry Nicko just saw this. Yes, I've tried it but didn't think it was worth the money. Don't get me wrong it was GOOD but not great. Try their 97 Knights Valley about $20.00 wholesale a nice wine that was worth the money. 97 produced alot of good cabs. and I really like most of the Alexander Valley stuff. Geyserville, Healdsburg, the whole russian river area. Also, another Great wine from that area is La Storia from a small winery called Trentadue outside of geyserville. Small production about 600 cs. of this particular wine (i think they produce about 30,000 all together) Really good wine. Let it breath it seems to grow in the bottle.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Nicko,
    Foggdigger makes a valid point "Price!!"

When I was out west and studeying at Beringers school for american chefs back in 1990....The 84/85/86 reserves were about $35 a btl, I have a vertical of beringers from 84-94...It's funny when these wines really took off there prices rose over 10 % a year. On release now for beringers reserve be prepared to pay $80 a bottel...Yikes
    That is the kind of money I used to allocate to Bordeaux first growths.

Some of the 97s Iv'e had to date are the Beringers,Opus,Montillena,Caymus,delle valle,snowden,stagesleap cask 23,phelps Insignia and a few more I don't remember.
    All of these wines showed tremendouse depth of flavor,almost perfect balance and strong celler potential, But you will have to pay $65-$145 a btl:eek:

I used to pay $11.99 for knights valley in CT,now it,s $25 ouch!!!

Nicko ,I think I can recommend a couple of tasty treats for you to try
    Echelon
    J.Lohr
    St Francis
    Franciscan
    shooting star
    mettler
    st clement
    ch,souvraign
    folie a deux
    turnbull
    I think you will be happy with these wines. They offer good value and great flavor
    cc

4. soshouhar

soshouhar

Dear Nicko:

Your posting made me think of my most favorite wines in the US $30-40 (retail) range that are available for purchase in America.

Here is my list of California wines:

Beaulieu Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon, Georges de Latour Private Reserve, 1985
    Elyse, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, Tietjen Vineyard, 1996
    Montelena Estate, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 1991
    Montelena Estate, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 1994
    Silverado Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley Limited Reserve, 1990

Here is my list of imports:

Isole e Olena, Cepparello, Toscana, 1998
    Lamborghini, Campoleone, Umbria, 1997
    Riecine, Chianti Classico Riserva, 1997
    Domaine Paul Autard, Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvee de la Cote Ronde, 1998
    Paul Coulon & Fils, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Blanc, Domaine de Beaurenard, 1999
    Domane Courbis, Cornas Champelrose, 1999
    Henri Bonneau, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 1993
    Domaine Desmeure, Hermitage Domaine des Remizieres Cuvee Emilie, 1998
    Bosquet des Papes, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Grenache, 1998
    Domaine de la Mordoree, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Cuvee de la Reine des Bois, 1998
    Domaine du Caillou, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, 1998

I wonder if others have any personal favorites from that price range.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nice list,

BUT!! I challange you to find any of those california cabs at the price you mentioned
    cc

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    85 George de latour for $35/40.Sign me up for 10 cases..I'm not a big Silverado fan But 1990 limited reserve for that price? I'll take 20cases.
    Most of your imports are also up there.
    Who do you know that I don't
    cc

7. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Impressed to find out that people in the States spend so much money on a bottle of wine!
    Are we talking about the average here?

Impressed that some imports have the same price with Napa Valley's products...

Do people who spend 50 or 60 $ on a bottle of wine prepare their food using canola oil ?
    I am making the connection because there is an old saying in Greece about the price of Oil and Wine.It is strongly connected.Since we produce both, our opinion counts. I think.

Just wondering.

:)

8. soshouhar

soshouhar

Dear Cape Chef:

I purchased these wines for my personal consumption one year ago at a discount wine warehouse near the Los Angeles Airport in California. I understand that I also benefited from a volume purchase discount.

Dear Atheneus:

The age of the good US $10 good bottle of wine is long gone. I would like to take this opportunity to add one more great wine from Israel in this list, which I forgot to include before. The Castel, Chardonnay “C”, 1998.

I hope that this anwers your questions.

9. fodigger

fodigger

So CapeChef not a big fan of Silverado? One of my top 10 wines ever was a 85 silverado cab it was awesome. I bought a couple of cs and just drink the last a couple of yrs ago. It had started downhill but was still enjoyable. Earlier, you mentioned J Lohr. Great winery about 35-40 miles from here. There are alot of great wineries in this area producing alot of good cabs, zins and chardonneys also a couple of GREAT pinot noirs Talley Vineyards for one. You made a great point though, about the amount of fine wines available for $20 a bottle. In the spring we rent a bus and hit the wine trail every yr it is a blast and you find some good wines you might not normally get exposed to.

10. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Fogdigger,

Nothing persanel with the Silverado, They do make a fine wine and I bet the 85 was fantastic.
    Also the Silverado Trail is a glorious drive.

I visited fetzer way up in Healesburg (sp?) what grounds they have, I also went to some organic farms up that way.
    cc

11. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My dear Fodigger, I just reliezed I was calling you "fogdigger" Ops!! Sorry:blush: :crazy:
    cc

12. fodigger

fodigger

NP C C it's just a silly nickname from a long time ago.:chef: