Benefits to cast iron grill pan over regular cast iron pan

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by g1gi, Feb 15, 2016.

1. g1gi

g1gi

Exp:
    At home cook
    My dad has a cast iron pan that I love to cook steak in, but I've seen cast iron grill pans and I've wondered if there are major benefits the grill pans have over regular pans and not just preferential benefits.  My thought is that since the food will not be sitting entirely in the fat/oil, the food will not be as high in calories and fat as in a regular cast iron pan, and I'm wondering how true that thought is.  As well as if there are any other benefits that could justify buying a cast iron grill pan and not just sticking to the regular cast iron pan.  I know that the grill pan will be more difficult to clean, which is another reason that I'm hesitant to buy one.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Grill pans give you some marks and generate some smoke if your stove can
    Put out enough heat. They are much less versatile and harder to clean.

3. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    They are also difficult to deglaze and use to make a pan sauce

4. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You will certainly have less fat in your steaks using a good grill cast iron pan, cause the fat drips to the outer ring.

Flat grills will tend to fry the meat in its own fat (or butter, or other fats). That's good for burgers, not for steaks, tho the opinions are divided. 

It may all depend on the quality of your steaks. Here, in Argentina, we have pretty good beef and we do not use flat grills for steaks.

Conclusion: you need both.

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I used to own two cast iron grill pans. They were so hard to clean that I gave them away. 

6. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Big mistake.

7. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef

I use one of these on my grill for almost 100% of everything I cook. I love it. Mine is a no-name cast iron jobbie. DO NOT get the "techno-fake metal-razmataz-voodoo" kind. Suck-City. It works because you can get full even heating with NO flare-ups. It gives great marks and color. If you've got any clue at all they are very easy to clean. I let it stay screaming hot for all things stuck to burn up and then hit it with a spray of water. The water steams up and releases all the burnt up parts. I then brush it off with a small wood-handled $1.09 welder's brush. In 5-minutes it's good-to-go.

welder's brush (size of a pregnant toothbrush)

Fake metal. Absolute piece of junk ...

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I do regret it today, although I still wouldn't know how to clean them up in a more efficient manner? 

On top of that, you have to keep in mind that I live in a region where we grill outdoor just about every day...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  9. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I live in Chicagoland ... I grill outside almost every day. Plus ... I just explained how to easily clean them ... so you've got that going for you ... which is nice.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  10. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Great! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  Don't you love it?

11. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Outside grilling, uh?

ENVY!

12. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have a flat top grill at work divided in two. One half is flat the other with groves.

The grooved flat top part is called a "French" grill.

True that the fat runs off of steaks but it works really well for fish, seafood, and other non-fatty items.

It does gives nice grill marks though.I have never used to cook steak though.

13. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you buy cast iron buy a Lodge.  Made in USA

14. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Not if it's enameled. That's imported from China. 

So this

says this

15. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    I don't generally take all the carbon off. Leaving some carbon adds to the seasoning, and somewhat of a 'charcoal flavor' you can't otherwise get without an outdoor grill.  I use hot water and a dull butter knife to scrape the edges clean, but my grill pan has sharp risers. Not like what you pictured. I prefer the sharp edge as opposed to the rounded kind, which seem to be most all of them these days. 

I also use it for burgers, steaks, fish, poultry. I've made sandwiches on it with another cast iron pan on top like a panini press.

Definitely need both kinds, though. 

16. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The actual "seasoning" doesn't come off, just the burned up stick-on parts. The browned bits, so-to-speak, that would make up pan sauce.

17. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    certified?
    You are correct, I did not include the enameled line.  They cannot make that in the USA because of US environmental regulations.  I would not buy enameled cookware from any where.  Is there any enameled that is NSF 

18. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    After many, many, times being used, seasoning is created by what is left behind. In my pan, I never use a brush, and just scrape off the big chunks, and whatever hot water can't remove stays on and gets "seasoned" or heated after being wiped out with a paper towel. 

I also never use the grill pan to make sauce. If I want sauce, I make it in a flat pan. Everybody is different though. 

19. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Maybe you're not catching what I'm saying. The stuff that I clean off is the burnt garbage from whatever was just cooked. This is not something that will bring anything good to the next item cooked. I didn't say I was making any kind of sauce from anything left on the grill pan. I was making a reference to what would be left in a regular pan that you would make sauce of and from.

I know I speak and explain clearly. I don't get it how some people just don't understand simple things.

20. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't quite get what you saying here. Could you elaborate a little. :~)