Bel Paese cheese

Joined Jul 3, 2002
Can someone please explain Bel Paese cheese to me? It has the same number of calories per ounce as plain old Monterey Jack (110 cal); it has more fat calories than Jack (90 as opposed to 70); it has more total fat than Jack (10 g as opposed to 8 g ); it has less saturated fat than Jack (4 g as opposed to 5 g); and--this is the number I'm REALLY interested in--Bel Paese has 5 mg of cholesterol as opposed to Jack's 30 mg.

It also is much tastier than Jack. Oh, and 30 mg of cholesterol seems to be the norm for most cheeses; I'm not saying that Jack is my favorite (perish the thought :eek: ).

What I'm trying (poorly) to get at is that I was searching for a cheese with low(er) cholesteral that didn't taste and/or have the consistency of rubber. Bel Paese is actually good, so I'm suspicious. Can anyone talk to me about it? And do you have any other suggestions?

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Phoebe,

I have been useing bel Paese for quite some time, both as is and in cooking. It's an Italian cheese (lombardy I think)it semi soft with a soft nutty/lactiad (in a good way) flavor and aroma.

It's excellent with apples and pears,melts nicely

Top Bottom