Being aware of the health of others while cooking

Joined May 3, 2015
Do you have any other related stories to tell other chefs about making something in the kitchen and also involved with food safety, health and any new methods for cooking something? Share your feedback, comments, and suggestions.
So last Friday, I learned something new about making Hot Chili Oil, or anything that involves hot oil and other types of chiles with seeds on them.
Normally, at home - I saw videos putting dried chilies on a glass or ceramic bowl. Then make sure the fan or vent above your stove is turned on.
Outside the kitchen - once you have oil infused with spices, herbs, garlic, ginger and other ingredients you want to include. Oil is heating up and boiling over medium-low heat. If you see that oil is bubbling and smoke is coming from the oil. Bring it out and transfer saucepan on a cart. Carefully bring it out and shout hot oil cautioning other people around you. So they don't get burned.
Once you are outside with open air, pour in dried chile flakes and other chiles. Stay back!, let it do its magic. Vapors will eventually come out, and let it dissipate or disappear over time. Stir. Add more, if necessary.
So my boss told me a story while we are doing this process of making hot chili oil. He told me that several years ago, he had a cook that was doing chili oils almost every day and inside the kitchen. He was pretty serious too - because he didn't want anyone to get their respiratory systems screwed up. I called this "Culinary teargas" because all of the vapors from the chiles and Capsicum that are inhaled by other cooks inside the kitchen can be affected by it, especially to those who have asthma or any respiratory ailments. They may cough with the heavy vapors and smoke emitted from the hot oil. He said that these vapors are deadly over time when inhaled almost every day by rupturing the lung tissues and cells which makes the person harder to breathe. We don't want that to happen.

Joined Feb 13, 2018
If someone has an onion allergy, clarify if it extends to the whole allium family (including shallots, chives, scallions, garlic, and apparently leeks!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom