Being a chef

Joined May 28, 2020
What is the value of being a professional chef when there are so much recipes and cooking equipment in the world? Experiences? But experiences can be gained from everyone and can be written in to recipes.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
1 Pros get paid.
2 I pay them to do things I don't want to or don't have the equipment or time to.

Joined May 5, 2010
What is the value of being a professional chef when there are so much recipes and cooking equipment in the world? Experiences? But experiences can be gained from everyone and can be written in to recipes.
It's not about the recipes, or the equipment.
Cooking is an art and an expression of ones commitment to the pursuit of.
All the rest of the crap that a Chef goes through is tolerated because of this ongoing pursuit.
...and you don't need all that equipment to cook

Joined Feb 18, 2007
Many years ago, Flo Braker gave a dozen West Coast pastry chefs a pound cake recipe; the chefs were asked to bake this and bring their cake to a culinary meeting; every single cake was different in texture, size, taste although they had all followed the same recipe. I don't think experience can be written into a recipe.

Some of my favorite recipes come from books geared to home bakers (Maida Heatter for example). Her recipes routinely run several pages because she puts so much info in them; and although she's writing to cover all abilities, I've watched pros ignore the notes and just do it the way they think it should go and sure enough, the recipe fails.

Joined Oct 25, 2016
Over the years I have viewed this question in many ways. Chefs are important because they are the bridge not the gap between kitchen and table. Not everyone has the mindset as a professional. Those who are professionals bring life and consistency to each dish as if it were prepared with there life on the line. I once had a Chef say their Mom came to the restaurant and got a poor meal out of his hands. You create and serve meals that bring joy to others which is a pretty noble act in itself. There are many roads to becoming a Chef and the wrong guidance can surely put you into bad habits and make you less effective in the longest of runs. All kitchens have a culture that differs in one way or another. Finding a place that not only you but the entire staff focus on excellence and improving each and every day. Those in the highest positions should display leadership qualities that are viewed throughout the practice and followed by those of less experience.

Top Bottom