beets

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by roon, Jan 30, 2002.

1. roon

roon

I guess this could go in the recipe section as well, but it seems to me to fit better here...

Jim's signature inspired this thread. I was reading it and thought how I have never liked beets. Then I thought of the fact that the only kind I've ever had have been canned. I don't like any canned vegetable at all, save corn, and that really doesn't count since it's not really a vegetable.

Soooo...what's a good way to prepare beets? Not recipes, necessarily (although those are always good too) but just some basic prep ideas. Are they good raw?

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh the love of beets!!!
    There is nothing on earth better then newly picked beets, simmered in a water, vinergar and sugar bath. peeled and nestled on a plate with warmed goat cheese flavored with tarragon a spring of mizuna and a herbal lemony sauvignon blanc and crispy toasted sour dough.

Purre beet soup (borsht) with hummis toasted pita triangles on top.

it's the flavor of sweet earth, healthy and cheap :)
    cc

3. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Roasted with salt and olive oil than peeled and julienned. Goes nicely with a little more olive oil and champagne vinegar. Try it with some peppered tuna carpaccio!;)

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    All the above and peeled chopped and roasted 325* in olive oil [email protected] for 45 minutes covered in foil, I add parsnips, turnips, rutabeggas....essentially any roots then dress with basalmic.
    Beets, chevre and tarragon are great combos...I hated beets until I discovered the fresh ones.

5. compassrose

compassrose

Roasted, julienned... and served on top of the greens, gently steam-cooked in the drops of their rinse water, with some sautéed chopped garlic and fresh pepper. A sprinkle of balsamic vinegar shaken over the whole.

Beet greens are my absolute favourite greens. They're melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

6. moxiefan

moxiefan

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I was out fine dining recently, and was reccommended the beet salad. It was pretty underwhelming. Just lettuce and a couple of slabs of home-pickled beets. Nice, but not really worth eight bucks, y'know? That is, until I uncovered a suprise pocket of orange zest... wow. Really did it for me. Made the whole thing worth while.

just an observation,
    P

7. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    I love beets I have already said that!!!

We make a salad made of raw beet and yogurt .Very low fat and yummy:lips:

8. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Now we're talkin'!!! Go Beets!
    How about Red Flannel hash - chunks of roasted beets minced into the traditional corned beef hash.
    Golden (yellow) beet salad with slices of red onion drizzled with some extra-sweet vinaigrette of sorts.
    Personal favorite: Toss some medium-ish sized beets with oil, rosemary and thyme and toss on the wood-stoked grill and cook indirectly. Takes some time, but when they come from the fire the skin pulls off and the smoke permeates the beet. I run the beet over my fake mandoline and plop a grilled trout on top. Garnish with grilled tomatoes and hunks of applewood bacon.
    For a nice presentation I pariessien (mellon ball) yellow and red beets and poach along with pariessiened scarlet/purple potatoes in stock for a fun garnish next to guinea hen or quail.

Thanks for the nod to my 'signature'!

9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For all of you who posted pickled beets, don't forget, that afterwards you have a great pickling juice for hard-boiled eggs!!

10. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    And after you parisienne your beets, you have an excellent medium for beet sorbet.:lips:

11. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Momoreg, Recipe please for the beet sorbet:)
    Sweet or savoury?
    I love this idea
    cc

12. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I made it once, using cooked pureed beets, a squeeze of lemon, and some s&p. I don't think I thinned it with stock, but I believe I softened the mixture with a spash of vodka before running it through the machine. That was not so much for flavor as it was to keep the texture soft.

The final product was sublime. Sorry I don't have a more precise recipe.

I'd like to make a sweet version, maybe with a hint of orange zest.

13. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    2 years ago one of the Farmer~ Chef dinners at Harvest was vegen....the pastry chef (Marion Aquino) made a chocolate cake using beet puree....she did not share the recipe and is now unable to; due to health impairments......Amazing cake!!!! the texture and flavor were wonderful.

14. roon

roon

Wow! I never realized there was so much you could do with beets...thank you! :)

15. chef nosko

chef nosko

Hi Chefs:

I love beets.....All kinds of beets!!!

You have to be careful because of the bleeding.....
    Lets just say that I would not blend them with any type of cream unless I was looking for a PINK nightmare. But I know everyone knows that..... It is just funny to watch a young cook discover that for the first time.

Best way for me.

I love beets roasted in small amount of olive oil....cooled slightly, peeled with a paring knife, then set aside. (red, & golden)

Note: If the beets are real large, I will add a small amount of water to the pan, half way through the cooking process and turn the beets as needed. To keep them moist, and so as not to burn them.

Wash, & saute beet greens, & Swiss chard with caramelized Bermuda onions, roast garlic (chestnut brown, almost like candy),
    sea salt, fresh cracked pepper----add the beets (cut into wedges), and then either add a small amount of whole butter(for a vegetable side.
    Or, an aged red wine vinaigrette with green peppercorns.
    If you want more of a salad.

Roasted and sliced beets as a base to go with a crispy roast duck salad is wonderful.

I concur with one of the other chefs, who mentioned a ggod way to roast them is by wrapping with foil......I like to do this when
    I want to cook over a grill outdoors. You will get some of the smoky flavor and retain the juices.

Just my 2 cents!!!

Chef Nosko
    A Fresh Endeavor
    Boston, MA

16. moxiefan

moxiefan

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Hey Athenaeus.

I've had that beet salad, and its fabulous. My stepfather is a Greek Orthodox priest -- the older ladies of his church are always feeding us the most remarkable things. When I had the salad, it was with pickeled (perhaps even tinned) beets that had been soaked/rinsed/soaked/rinsed, mixed with yoghurt and -- this makes it less low-fat but crunchy -- walnuts. Really, really good.

Slightly off-topic, but many of these ladies claim that serving feta straight out of the brine is a sin -- it has to be soaked/rinsed, ect. to remove the brine. The result is a really nice, mild, creamy cheese. Any thoughts on this practice?

Regards,
    P

17. zcook

zcook

Beet Salad with Walnuts and Bleu Cheese

Serves 6 to 8

4 Red Beets, peeled and quartered
    1 quart Apple Cider, or apple juice
    1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1/2 cup Walnuts
    1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
    1/2 lb. Baby Arugula or Baby Spinach
    Juice of 1 Lemon
    1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
    1/2 cup Blue Cheese, crumbled

In medium saucepan, combine beets, apple cider and red wine vinegar. Simmer until beets are fork-tender. Remove beets and juice from heat and chill together.

In a sauté pan, add walnuts and sugar; stir over medium heat until sugar turns a golden brown, Pour onto a greased cookie sheet to cool.

In large bowl, mix the arugula, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper.

Plate the arugula and top with sliced beets, blue cheese and candied walnuts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beets with Goat Cheese and Dill

Serves 6

12 small-to-medium-sized Beets
    4 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
    Kosher Salt
    Freshly cracked Black Pepper
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
    6 oz. Goat Cheese, crumbled
    1 Shallot, minced
    1 tablespoon Chives, minced
    2 tablespoons Dill, minced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Trim and wash beets. Dry with towel.

Toss beets with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in roasting pan and bake, covered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Allow to cool and remove skins by rubbing with a towel.

Cut beets into quarters or eighths and place in a bowl. Toss with remaining olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Top with crumbled goat cheese, minced shallots, chives and dill.

18. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Roasted Beet butter sauce makes for a different and bright sauce for many dishes. We used it for a fall dish of Pumpkin seed crusted scallops. Just make sure to use plenty of roasted beets or you end up with a pink sauce (YUCK!!!) instead of a deep red one.