Beer Bread

Joined Dec 1, 2001
What kind of variations have people heard of or made? I have done several searches, and it seems that a relatively basic recipe is:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. Baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 12 oz. bottle beer
2 Tbsp. butter

I actually made it for the time a little while ago. I added some herbs to it. I used a really good local beer, Ybor Gold, its a Dortmunder Export style beer, basically an extra strong lager. I can see a whole world of possibilities here.
I absolutely love good beers. I have a case of a beer called Maudite, a belgian style brown ale made by a canadian brewery, that I am cellaring. They are in large champange bottles. Certain types of beers go through a bottle fermentation like wine. They take on more complex characteristics, some become even port-like. I may have to pop one open sometime soon.

Joined May 26, 2001
How about using a lambic, and adding the same fruit, to make a beer "tea bread"? I'm going to try that! Thanks!!!

:lips:

Joined Dec 1, 2001
Good Idea!

I think that I'm going to try a really good porter or stout next. One with a lots chocolate notes to it.

Joined Mar 12, 2001
This is the beer bread that I make. It makes great toast. My problem is that I keep trying to grab hubby's good beer to make bread and he gets sooo cranky! LOL. Too bad.

Joined Mar 12, 2001
This is the beer bread that I make. It makes great toast. My problem is that I keep trying to grab hubby's good beer to make bread and he gets sooo cranky! LOL. Too bad.

Joined Mar 12, 2001

3 C self rising flour
1 12oz. can beer, room temperature
4 Tbsp. sugar.
Combine ingredients. Mix well. Pour into well greased 9" bread pan. Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Makes 1 loaf. and even better toast!

Bernard Clayton has a great beer bread in his New Complete Book of Bread. I think it's BEER BATTER BUTTER BREAD. OH to die for. has oregano in it. Toasted it is an orgasm! If I remember, it has at least 1/2C melted butter poured over the batter...........mmmm

:lips:

Joined May 26, 2001
The absolute BEST way I know to make a batter for onion rings, fried zucchini, etc, is this ridiculously simple recipe:

1 12-oz can or bottle of beer, cold or at room temp, fresh or flat
1 1/2 cup AP flour (12 oz by volume)

Mix thoroughly. Let sit 3 hours. Dip, let drip, and fry.

This gives a golden, crunchy, addictive crust. And it holds up keeping the fried stuff warm in the oven. You can even freeze the cooked items, and reheat them later and they'll STILL be crisp. Thank you, Family Circle magazine!

Joined Feb 21, 2001
Go looking for Artisan Baker's web site..guy named Craig Ponsford. He has a beer bread with roasted barley malt that's unreal.

Top Bottom