Beer and wine in a coffee shop

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Martindale, Aug 17, 2018.

1. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Forgot to add...to get to the point where you will see ROI you must sell each guest X amt of drinks.
    You can find the formula somewhere online (based on your location and prices) I am sure.
    It is rare to find someone who will partake of more than one cocktail at a restaurant such as yours (not being snarky...I LIKE your menu offerings).
    A before dinner drink and (MAYBE) something sweet like a coffee drink or maybe a warmed cognac or brandy (with a coffee back) after they have finished and the plates are removed (if they want to linger).
    Just something I picked up on over my decades of bar work.

mimi

2. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Where did you find a website? All I found is what Yelp has and a photo of the menu that I can't read. AFAIK he has no website, which as I said above would be very helpful to have.

3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    You are right not a website...just a small write up.
    Def saw a menu but was not paying attention to the links I was going to.
    Thanks for the fact check.

mimi

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Didn't Starbucks open a couple of those concepts-coffeehouse with a full bar? I know that they had opened 1 or 2, to try it out, but haven't heard anything about them recently.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  5. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
  6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I tried many things over the years to increase sales in my operations. Some of them worked and some didn't. An owner just needs to realize when to cut their losses and move on. The OP has a good business, good menu and great prices. The OP is also making a good living on the business that has been in operation for 26 years. I commend the OP for being successful in one of the hardest businesses to succeed in......"If it ain't broke don't break it".....ChefBillyB

flipflopgirl likes this.
  7. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I agree but the owner invested a lot of money in a liquor license and is unable to capitalize on it. He has a core business selling breakfast and coffee and apparently a following. As long as he maintains that and doesn't raise prices too much I don't see the harm in making some changes. The fast food atmosphere has to go. Now that he's thrown the concept of tipping into the mix, how does he think that is going to work with no servers and customers paying before they get their food? Nobody tips at Mc Donalds!

All the review sites describe Granville's Coffee as a coffee shop or serving breakfast and brunch. With that reputation it's no wonder he can't sell liquor. He HAS to bring in a dinner crowd.

And one reviewer mentioned that he added a bookstore?? What's THAT all about??

flipflopgirl likes this.