Beef Wellington for Banquet

Joined Dec 19, 2015
Greetings Chefs-
This past weekend I had a plated banquet party that required I made 80 beef wellingtons. Made them multiple times for dining room specials and always came out great. This one was pretty traditional- dijon, duxelle and puff pastry. I made a few test ones to make sure my timing was good- 6oz fiilets 400 degree convection oven for 12 minutes and 10 minutes of resting- temperature and flavor were spot on however my pastry was veryyy pale and parts of pastry were undercooked. I egg washed the pastry and lined them up on full sheet trays- 4 trays of 20 in one oven. Never had any issues before with my pastry or coloring- so my question how do I get them all even for mass banquet production? Considering next time lining them up on half trays instead of full so I can get more even coverage on baking them, but I only have 2 convection ovens to work with so I cant necessary afford to spread them out too much. Hoping to produce them again shortly for a wine dinner before the holidays are over so any input would be helpful, thanks in advance.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
You wrap the whole loin. You can part the loin down the middle so you get a more consistent six oz protein portion or you can do two portions from the smaller end and one large portion from the middle.

Joined Dec 19, 2015
Done the whole loin for smaller parties, issue for these larger banquets are I only had 2 other hands for executing/plating for the 5 courses and don't have a guarantee of pulling more help off the line (if they are in the weeds) so I can't afford to rationalize adding the extra step of carving to already tight constraints so individual ones seemed more practical in the moment.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
I've done the Wellingtons the same way you did and didn't have any problems. I wonder if by cooking all 80 at one time build up some moisture in the oven preventing the browning.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I've done the Wellingtons the same way you did and didn't have any problems. I wonder if by cooking all 80 at one time build up some moisture in the oven preventing the browning.

That was my first thought as well.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
That's the likely cause. If you have to do that many again, maybe do smaller batches or possible stick the pans under the salamander briefly at the end. Keep a close on 'em obviously! I've done Wellingtons that way with no issues but not usually so many. Like Kuan I normally do whole loins and slice them if I need 50+ orders. Fold the tail end or double them up with two tail sections to keep the thickness even.

Joined Jan 31, 2012
I've also done a bunch at a time in the banquet room...it doesn't sound like you've changed anything major...
I think spacing them as you suggested might be good. You might also try rotating the pans around a bit say mid way through cooking.
Convection ovens can be peculiar, have you noticed any kind of ptattern concerning placement of the ones that are pale and have underdone pastry?

Top Bottom