Beef tendon

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by brianshaw, Sep 8, 2014.

1. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I must be living under a rock because over the weekend I had my first taste of beef tendon.  The guy at a local pho restaurant suggested it, but he warned that many people seem afraid of it.  What a wonderful taste sensation.  Pure gelatinous yumminess.

Aside pho, what other beef tendon uses are there?  Any recipes to share?

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It shows up on cold plate appetizers in Chinese cuisine. I've bought it pre-cooked and seasoned at one local Asian grocer. Never cooked it myself. But I too love it in pho.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  3. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My wife used to cook beef tendons a lot. Its indeed a delicacy if well done. All recipes i know begin with blanching and slow cooking them. On open fire, it will take 3-4 hours. to get them tender. Then you proceed to put the flavors you want cause beef tendons are not so much tastefull; they have that nice texture that will absorb all flavors you put in them.

Here's a recipe that skips two steps: blanch the tendons and braise until tender.

Here's a surprising soup:

And a tendons kind of curry :

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Karen will be spending a week with her family, leaving wednesday. Maybe I'll experiment with tendon while she is gone.

5. babytiger

babytiger

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I like braised versions of beef tendons. Spicy is always good.

I also like the beef balls with tendons mixed in.

6. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @BrianShaw  you are not living under a rock, I have never tried beef tendon either. I will have to try this the next time I am in China town.

7. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I can get tendons pretty regularly at a local Asian grocery.  I  will add a few to the veal stock pot, fantastic for gelatin.  

Not the best pic, but on the bottom right is my fav use for tendon.  Once braised a good long time (or pulled from the stock pot), trim the tendon very well of any gristle and meat.  Cool, and slice into small pieces.  Pop these into a dehydrator over night until rock hard and "gem like" (kinda resembles a broken beer bottle).  Pop into a fryer and you have beef puffs.  

Al