Beef Sirloin Tip

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bgilcrease, Jan 5, 2014.

1. bgilcrease

bgilcrease

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello All,  

I was hoping to get some help figuring out the best way to cook some beef that I had given to me. I was recently generously given a cooler full of beef from a slaughtered cow.  There were a lot of cuts that I was familiar with such as rib-eye, fillet, t-bone, etc. , then there were also a few mystery cuts "Beef Boneless Roast", "Hamburger", etc.  and lastly there were a lot of sirloin tip steaks.  

I believe that the sirloin tip is the bottom of the sirloin, and is usually left as a roast ?  Maybe not though?  I thought the cuts were left in about 3 pound roasts, but after thawing one it turned out to be two 1.5 steaks.  I cooked one in some chili previously and it turned out very tough.  I honestly don't usually care for sirloin as a steak and always prefer the more expensive cuts.  I wasn't too careful cooking the sirloin in the chili so maybe I just cooked it to fast?

It looks like it might have enough fat for a braise, but I'm not really sure.  Everything I have read says to cook sirloin like a steak and never above MR.  I'm fine with that for rib-eye, but I've only had two sirloins that I can think of at MR that I cared much for. One was smoked and very tender and the other I have no clue about. But either way I'm not trying to recreate those.

Any ideas, suggestions, or questions ?   

Here is a picture of what I have resting in the fridge for tonight.  I also picked up some red wine for a sauce or braising liquid.

2. beastmasterflex

beastmasterflex

Exp:
    Other
    I don't think that's tri-tip, looks more like bottom round to me, but I'm not a butcher. Just by looking at it though, I'd say marinade it in the red wine.

3. bgilcrease

bgilcrease

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hmm, marinade then pan-fry to MR ?  Or slow cooked in a sauce?  Or any recipes for this cut ?

I guess if I slice it thin enough it pretty much can't be tough. Is that the only option?

4. beastmasterflex

beastmasterflex

Exp:
    Other
    I'd probably stick it on the bbq grill but it'll probably go past MR

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't use sirloin much, but when I do I marinate it.  Most often I slice the meat into thin strips and soak in soy sauce and sherry and use in stir fry.

mjb.

6. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  7. bgilcrease

bgilcrease

Exp:
    At home cook
    So a round more than a sirloin?  That makes sense.  I cubed it up and it was very lean.  I'm simmering it in the wine with some aromatics and rosemary.  I wanted to do a roast today, and I should have thawed a roast instead of trying something with this cut.  I have quite a few more in the freezer and I think next time I'm going to slice, marinade, and then stir fry.  I actually do a lot of stir fry, but not much with beef. So if the stir-fry turns out well I won't have any trouble putting this cut to good use.

Thanks for the help.  Please feel free to keep posting suggestions. I still have a lot of this left. 

btw, I liked the meat man site.  It really has a lot of information on it.

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would marinate them for a couple of hours and then grill or pan fry them. Thinly slice at an angle and a bias both, which will open up the grain to it's maxium thereby making them as tender as possible. Assuming you use the red wine mentioned, in the marinade, I would do a red wine sauce, top the finished steaks with caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms. Sit down and enjoy!