Beef Short Ribs Slow Cooker Substitute

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by takingstock, Jul 1, 2014.

1. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have 6 pounds of GF Beef short ribs that I want to sear then cook very slowly. The recipe calls for a slow cooker. I no longer have one of these.

In the oven or BGE what temp should I maintain?

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Are they individual pieces or one block? If one block they can be slow smoked at 225 until tender. If pieces I would give them and hour or two of low temp smoke then into a steam table pan with foil over it. Then back on the BGE or into a 250 oven. Watch for drying if they are pieces when smoking them, might need to shorten time.

3. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Are you braising? I don't have a slow cooker either, i braise at 275 for 4 or 5 hours - when i have time. Two hours at 3 or 325 will cook them. Slow roasting i think you could follow similar times?

4. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Exactly what is BRAISING?

Individual pieces.....maybe 12 ???

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This isn't an answer to your question, but I would love to see one of the monthly challenges this fall be braising. Low, slow, moist cooking.

6. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Braising is low temerature cooking, usually over an extended period of time, in a sealed vessel, with liquid. E.g., a pot roast. That's how i do my short ribs; but i'm not familiar with the BGE, so maybe you already have your method dialed in.

7. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    @teamfat, wouldn't that give an unfair advantage to people who have time to cook all day?

8. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    If pieces a short smoke then into a pan with a little liquid and back on the BGE or into a 250f oven to finish cooking.

9. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I will post pics of the cuts in a few days.  There is a huge range in the sizes.

I'm a little leery of overcooking them as I did to the last GF brisket....I cooked on the egg./img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif

10. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    What happened to the brisket?

11. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well I marinated it in unfiltered olive oil for 24 hours, applied rub-24 hours, applied butter on top and put in egg in a foil pan covered. ~ 4 pounds
    Set a 225 temp andeft for 4 hours ish.

At one point the temp hit 280...this may have the problem. It was not distroyed but def over cooked.

12. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Thats crazy... wow, yeah thats really high. Well, i advocate for moist heat for these, but maybe if you moniter the temp and just pull it whennit hits 180-190° it will be better than trying to time it. If there was no liquid in the pan when you did brisket, then i can see your pan acting as an oven over direct heat and heating way past where you wanted. With liquid in the pan it should keep the temperature lower. Follow maryb's smoking instructions, or sear them on the grill or in a pan, put them with a bit of liquid and cook an hour or two at a low temp. Should be good...

13. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Now a moment of silence for your brisket...

14. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    That brisket may have actually been undercooked... 1 1/2 hours per pound at 225 is my rule of thumb, actual meat temps decide when it is done. I had a little 4 pound brisket flat take 8 hours one time to reach 195 internal. I wrapped it at 6 hours to prevent drying. Small cuts are notoriously hard to cook low and slow on the BBQ pit. A 12 pound+ brisket would be more forgiving but also a 20 hour + cook.

15. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Understand this was GF brisket...IMO very different than grain fed.... With Costco meats that I used to buy I never had problems.

This brisket I think hit over 200 internal somehow and there was no pink color left at all.  It was edible and flavorful but had that dreaded over done texture.  I will do this again and document.

➤ "Small cuts are notoriously hard to cook low and slow on the BBQ pit."

16. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I never foil EXCEPT when someone gives me some small cuts to cook, way to easy to dry them out before they get done.

17. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'll braise in foil with a good liquid medium, but you really need to keep the temperature controlled.  On the grill I sear it quickly for a crust when it's done because whatever crust it may have had in the beginning is long gone. 

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  18. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    <- The Middle East Challenge is over there, Master teamfat. Go, cook and win it and you'll have your topic. I'd like that one, too! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

19. takingstock

takingstock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok I'm planning on cooking / eating these tomorrow.  The sizes are all over the place.

Based on the pictures are there any additional suggestions?

~ 2 3/8", 6 cm

1", 2.5cm

20. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Cut the big one in half so they're all more or less the same size. Whats your plan of attack?