Beef Roast Internal Temperature

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dwessler, Dec 30, 2016.

1. dwessler

dwessler

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey, all - I have a question regarding internal temperature of beef roast.

I don't seem to find much agreement amongst my resources regarding what the correct internal temperature should be for different levels of doneness. If I'm making a 3-pound beef bottom round roast, looking for it to be medium rare, what should my final internal temperature be? It seems USDA suggests the final internal temp should be 145F (taking the roast out of the oven at 135, as it will cook for another 10 degrees after removal during rest). But lots of professional chefs seem to suggest a final internal temp of 130-135F (removal from the oven at 120-125). That's a big difference! What would you all suggest for a medium-rare final internal temperature of a beef roast?

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I shoot for 130ish then let it rest. But that is on bigger roasts. On a 3 pound roast it is going to cool faster so you may need to hit 135...

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    How are you planning to cook this tough cut?  

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think it's ok to cook this as a "roast" if it's for Italian beef sandwiches and cold cuts.

5. dwessler

dwessler

Exp:
    At home cook
    Cooking in an oven... Is that what you mean? As an entree.

6. zeppo shanski

zeppo shanski

Exp:
    Other
    Am I missing something? Doesn't "roast" elude to baking in the oven?

7. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Well oven is fine and there are a couple of ways to achieve tender.  Braise low and slow after a good sear, or dry, hot and fast then oven off and keep the door closed for 2.5hrs. like eye of round.  This is a real piece of working meat with lots of collagen to break down.  Since you want to do it as a "roast" and not sandwich sliced I'd go for the low and slow.  

I agree with KK about Italian sandwich style which I'm fond of for this cut.  I usually inject a marinade all over.  But you can simply season with salt, pepper and what ever else then onto a baking pan and into a 500 degree oven, reduce to 450 and roast for 7 minutes per pound - 21 min. for a 3lb. roast.  Turn off the oven and don't go near that door for two hours.  That should put you in the medium rare zone.  At the end of that time the roast will be completely rested so if you need to heat it up you will not have to rest it again.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  8. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As a method or verb yes.  As a noun or cut no.  A roast may be grilled, smoked, braised, or roasted in the oven.  Mike9 is correct bottom round is a tough cut of meat.  When I use it i slice it very thin.

9. zeppo shanski

zeppo shanski

Exp:
    Other
    OK. I guess I was missing something.

10. zeppo shanski

zeppo shanski

Exp:
    Other
    This topic got me cooking. 

I've got a 2-pound ribeye roast. A chunk of meat the guy was cutting off ribeye steaks from. I scored the top and rubbed all the seasonings in. It's sitting on the countertop for a couple of hours. My question is this - What oven temp and for how long to get between med-rare and regular medium? 

Thanks.

11. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    For such a small roast I would treat it more like a steak and sear it in a pan to brown and then transfer to an oven at 350 for the remainder.  This should not take long at all.  Maybe 20 minutes start to finish? Use a thermometer and don't let it get past 120.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    millionsknives likes this.
  12. zeppo shanski

zeppo shanski

Exp:
    Other
    Thank You. 

Wow, I was thinking 10-minutes @ 550* then 20-minutes @ 200*. 

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If you do this it will overcook. Starting at high heat is for browning larger roasts, but the process will cook your steak right through.

14. zeppo shanski

zeppo shanski

Exp:
    Other
    Thank You.