Beef Jerky

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pmash, Apr 23, 2003.

1. pmash

pmash

Greeting everyone,

I am in need of some beef jerky recipes. I will be using a 10 layer dehydrator. Friend of mine is deployed to the Middle East and is tired of MREs and T-Rations. His only request is beef jerky.

Hope you all can land a hand – thanks

Patrick
    :bounce:

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Take a look at this older CT thread. There's a link there.

Also, a lot of the low carb sites have jerky recipes.

Here's a simple Google search I did. Your problem now is finding a recipe you like!

Happy chewing! I'm sure your buddy will appreciate your effort. If you have access to a FoodSaver, you can vacuum-pack it for the best chance at having the quality hold until it arrives in the Middle East.

3. iheartjerky

iheartjerky

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    BeefJerkyRecipes.com has many good recipes. I made the sweet & sour jerky recently from a recipe that i got from there.

Let me know how it works!

Good luck...its not as hard as people think!

4. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Make sure yo use a curing salt to prevent bacterial growth! Morton Tender Quick is a common grocery store item or look for prague powder #1 online from meat butchering suppliers. I like to keep mine simple, a salt brine with cure, LOTS of black pepper, garlic and onion powders. Soak overnight in the fridge for 24 hours per 1/4 inch of thickness. If its nice I smoke it on the big BBQ pit otherwise I cheat and add a bit of liquid smoke to the brine. Dry until the meat starts to look clear in spots or until it almost cracks when bent. That level of dryness will keep non-refrigerated for a while but keeping it cool really extends the life.