Beef for braising in Guinness

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by norcalbaker59, Mar 15, 2017.

1. norcalbaker59

norcalbaker59 Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I've never braised beef. But for a St. Patrick's Day dinner party, I want to braise beef in Guinness and broth to used in beef and vegetable hand pie appetizers. What cut of beef would be best you suited to cook in Guinness? I plan to braise the beef, then mix it with roasted root vegetables.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
  3. norcalbaker59

norcalbaker59 Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Koukouvagia, thank you much. The recipe sounds delicious. I like the addition of cheddar cheese--I would not have thought of adding it! I copied and pasted to my notes so I can make on Thursday.

4. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Any type of beef as long as it is not a tender cut, so chuck, blade, topside, silverside, brisket etc

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I admit that I use this recipe for my run of the mill stew.  I only add the cheese when I make it into a pie. It totally works, just make sure you use a reputable cheddar.

6. norcalbaker59

norcalbaker59 Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Koukouviagia, bought chuck as recommended...wow does it smell delicious! When I was trying to figure out what to bring as an appetizer I decided to bring a gluten laced dish since I cannot eat gluten. I figured if I limit what I can eat at this upcoming dinner party I won't careen too far off my diet. Now that the house is filled with the delicious aroma of this Guinness beef I'm really sad that I won't be able to eat it. If this tastes as good as it smells, my family and friends are in for a treat. I'm going to make it again with a gluten free beer. I'm sure it won't be exactly the same in a gluten free version, but I still think worth a try. Thanks for the recipe recommendation.

7. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    maybe use hard cider?  i am at the edge of south eastern apple country and there are 7 or 8 folks making cider nearby.  the tastes run from sweet and apple-ie to very dry and crisp.

8. norcalbaker59

norcalbaker59 Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Scott, thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely going to give it a try. The Guinness beef hand pies turnout very well. My sister, who can be blunt and doesn't hesitate to tell me when I miss the mark, said they were delicious. So I'm anxious to create a gluten free version that I can put into my entertaining rotation. I only make gluten free pie crust these days since my recipe is now virtually indistinguishable from a gluten crust. So its only a matter of converting the Guinness beef filling into a gluten free version.