Bechamel Base Mustard sauce

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Mona123, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:34 AM.

1. Mona123

Mona123

Exp:
    home cooking
    Hello, i know i can easly make the bechamel sauce to a mustard sauce, but ive googled around without finding anything really. Do i add mustard in after the sauce is complete, or do i make a mustard roux?
    Is dijon a good mustard for this?

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Add mustard to the béchamel.

2 tsp mustard piwder or 1 tbsp Dijon for each cup of bechamel. Then thin to desired consistency with cream.

I like both mustards. Each a bit different but both food

Mona123 likes this.
  3. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like Dijon and some whole grain. I also like some fine diced or puréed shallots reduced in white wine.

Mona123 likes this.
  4. Mona123

Mona123

Exp:
    home cooking
    Do i add it after its done, or under the simmering process? also would it work thinning it out with whole milk?
    And when you say 1tbsp for each cup, do you mean for each cup milk you use for the sauce?

5. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If “it” is the mustard, I add to finished béchamel. Thinning with milk is okay. Yes, 1cup was referring to the milk component...

If “it” is ChefBubs shallot and wine reduction, I would add that with the milk prior to bringing to temp and thickening.

Mona123 likes this.
  6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If “it” is the mustard, I add to finished béchamel. Thinning with milk is okay. Yes, 1cup was referring to the milk component... but there isn’t too much of a diff between milk volume and finished volume.

If “it” is ChefBubs shallot reduction, I’d add that with the milk.

Mona123 likes this.
  7. Mona123

Mona123

Exp:
    home cooking
    Hehe yes, "it" is the mustard. I will test it out tomorow, thanks very much for the tips! Im guessing the sauce will be better thinned out with cream? Also how much cream/milk do you prefer to add in the thinning? and how thin should it idealy be

8. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Thin to a pouring consistency... same as any sauce.

9. Mona123

Mona123

Exp:
    home cooking
    should i flavour the bechamel with nutmeg? or will that crash with the mustard?

10. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I don’t.

11. Mona123

Mona123

Exp:
    home cooking
    Tried making this sauce today, it only tasted dijon. Im wondering if i did something, what i did was: after the bechamel was finished cooking, i set the pot aside on the bench, and then i took one tbsp of dijon and poured in lukewarm milk to get it more liquid. Am i suppose to cook it with the mustard in? or cook it when i add in milk to thin it out?