Beatrout

Joined Nov 19, 2001
[COLOR=#blue]:confused: I HAVE JUST ORDED SOME FRESH BEETROUT 2 DAYS AGO."DON,T ASK WHY".AND I AM STUCK OF WHAT TO DO WITH IT. ANYONE HELP??

Joined May 26, 2001
Not my favorite veg unless done as Roasted Beets: scrub the beets well. Rub with oil. Roast in a hot oven until soft (pierce with a knife to test). Roasting time will vary depending on size of beet. Peel. WATCH OUT, THEY WILL STAIN EVERYTHING!!! Eat as is, or slice/dice and mix with a simple vinaigrette, or ...

This concentrates the flavor and caramelizes the sugars.

BTW: if yours come with the leaves attached, you can cook those too, like any other leafy green.

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Beetroots are one of my favourites!

I boil them in water with salt with their skins that I remove them when they are ready. This is important because if you unpeel them first they lose their taste!

We eat them here as salad , that means with oilive oil and vinegar. Of course you will use the green part!
Jonesy we make them as salad when we are having cod fish ;)

Another favourite way is with garlic sauce, the famous Greek skordalia. I can post you the recipe if you wish.

Good luck.

Joined Mar 12, 2001
RAW BEETROOT SALAD. Very nice and easy.
Peel and grate raw beetroot, mix with lots of thinly sliced spring onions, some diced tomato and even some grated carrot for a really colourful salad. dress with whatever vinaigrette based dressing you want.

Joined Jan 12, 2001
beets (we call them just beets here in the u.s.) have a great earthy sweet flavor. i'm a big fan of them. great color too.

i used to do this great salad with roasted beets cut into julienne, crumbled goat cheese, hazelnuts, mixed greens, and a grainy mustard vinaigrette. i love these flavors together...they all compliment each other really well.

another great thing to do with beets is to juice them (if you have a juicer) and then reduce the juice slowly until it starts to thicken. put into a blender and emulsify with a neutral oil and season to make a really vivid red beet emulsification.

have you ever gotten those beautiful little baby beets that seem to be everywhere lately? they are wonderful. here in the u.s., they're pretty easily found and you can get regular, golden, or chiogga (candystripe) baby beets. very striking and pretty.

i read somewhere that 90% of granulated sugar on the market today comes from beets. did you know that? wild, huh?

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
In grade one class the teacher asked where does sugar comes from? My cousin said beets. The teacher replied very sarcastic tomatoes too I suppose.....

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I have had a few really good beet salads recently,
baby spinach with julienned beets, mustard dressing and hot honied apples...feta to sprinkle

The Crossing makes beet salad with chevre and has sherry viniager dressing ....I do a take on that by make beet soup puree with sherry vinigar reduced , sugar added and chevre to top....
easy wonderful

I like um roasted with parsnips, turnips, rutabeggas, olive oil, salt and pepper.....balsamic dressing when they are done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom