beard nets???

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chutney, Mar 22, 2011.

1. chutney

chutney

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Does anybody use them?  We have two guys in our kitchen with beards.  Should they be wearing nets?  Or do people in real kitchens  just not do that?

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    never seen one but I've seen guys wear cafeteria lady nets......just an excuse to tease um./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You see them in food manufacturing, many butcher shops, and most institutional food service establishments, but they haven't found their way into the restaurant world, in any major way.  There may be some municipalities that require them, but I expect more and more health departments will start requiring them.

4. chutney

chutney

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My nephew has to wear one.  He has a job at a dairy plant, but I've never seen one on the job.  It seems kind of funny to make a guy with shaved head wear a hat and having a cook with a beard without anything on a beard.  How many guys have beards out there? How many ladies??

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    there's a certain length of hair that does not require covering....since I'm not a guy, it was a moot point.

6. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If kitchens around here started requiring a beard net I'd have to quit and find a respectable job!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif