Bean soaking question

Joined Jun 2, 2018
Hi everyone

I found this recipe on youtube that I want to try. It calls for 1 cup of soaked beans. I tried to make it, but it didn't work out to well. In the video, when the person pours in the beans, in with it goes the liquid - which appears to be really thick in nature. This makes up a big part of the dish in the end - you need this liquid to properly cook the meal. I soaked my beans for 12 hours - but all I had left was a little water that was, well, watery. Sure, I could use more water to start, but it's just going to be more watery water.

Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas you fine people can throw my way? Thank you!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Well, soaked beans have starchy but liquidy water at the end. Our friend, Almazan, who I greatly respect, appears to have used canned beans.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
That wasn't cooked long enough to cook the soaked beans. Or the herbs and peppers would be much further broken down.

I agree he used canned beans.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Can I get back the 10 min I spent watching this?
Those were canned beans, you can tell by the shine on them from the "gravy" that is in the can.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Yep......definitely canned beans.

This guy is the Zamfir of cooking videos. I have watched a few of his videos and he does some very questionable things. The medium rare bear meat steak leaps to mind.

Take whatever he does in his videos with a grain of salt.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I have no idea who that is, but if English is his second language maybe just a mistake. Meant 1 cup of canned beans, not soaked beans.

Joined Jun 2, 2018
Ahhh - canned beans - maybe that's what it is. Well, i don't want to eat beans from a can! :confused:

Anything one can do with beans bought in the bag - to get them to have that type liquid?

That wasn't cooked long enough to cook the soaked beans.

Recipe calls for cooking for "a few hours" - that would not be long enough?

Thanks everyone!

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
That's enough time, it's just not what he did in the video.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
You can soak and pre-cook the beans, then make that recipe. The liquid will be very starchy but without the “slime” of canned beans. When they are nearly done let the liquid start to reduce (but not go dry).

Joined Sep 5, 2008
This reminds me of cassoulet.

Soak the beans in as little water as possible. The beans need to stay covered with water so check as they swell and add more if necessary. The less water, the more starchy the water will end up, and the thicker the end result will be. At that point I like to add aromatics (bay leaf, thyme, savory, black peppercorns, crushed garlic cloves etc...) to the soaking liquid.

Cook the beans in as little of the soaking liquid as possible. Reserve the remaining soaking liquid to add more during cooking if necessary.

When the beans are tender you should be left with a fair amount of bean-liquor which you can then use in your final recipe.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
upload_2018-6-3_7-50-21.jpeg

Hey, nothing wrong with canned beans. If I want a fast meal they come in handy. I don't make a big deal about opening the can like this guy in the video would. He also needs to work on his vegetable cuts, maybe by not making a big deal a about it.

IMG_1750.JPG

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I was almost afraid to say that, but sometimes there’s absolutely nothing wrong with canned. When I use canned beans I rinse the “slime” off though.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Just wondering... The dreaded slimy stuff makes aquafaba. Has anybody tried making aquafaba using "fresh" bean liquid?

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Very nice french fries. Thanks. It looks like by reducing the bean water, we make our own bean slime. I won't be as averse to using it for aquafaba.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
If you cook the beans the day before then refrigerate overnight, they will have a nice thick and flavorful liquor the next day.
Simply rewarm on low heat without adding additional liquid to the pot.
Depending on the type of bean this could give you a very soft texture so be aware of this if you like a firmer end product (we like them soft).
mimi

Top Bottom